Why poor graphics?

Many people (me included) think they can get the game out with moderate models and then wait for supermodels to get inspired. Many games improve their graphics over the years.

For example this picture isn’t of simple planes with textures on them:

Then again it’s not the best models either.

It’s in the middle. …maybe a little below the middle but close.

Often game devs want to have their brain child runnable on all computers so they tune down the graphics a bit. Though many go to the extent of madness with this.

Thanks,
Hero

You started a topic about poor graphics in BGE scene and to backing up your point, you posted a picture from your work and tell how you made it in 3 weeks with all kind of graphical bells and whistles…

Anyhow. A pretty pictucture, but what about game play? Is it poor or is it good?

@AcAnimate - Like others have said, mostly, it’s that the BGE is a game engine used by hobbyists and students / younger people, and so most games aren’t polished to ‘commercial game’ quality. Obviously, the developers who do this would also have to have the computers to handle it. While there are some good-looking games made with the BGE out there, most people don’t put a ton of polish and work into their games.

this can be a decision .

high poly mean that you need to make at least a douple version for all obj.
since you cannot keep all high poly or CPU laggy.

this mean a lot of work more.(not much for script but with model)
work on hight poly is more hard but work on low and high is much worse
and in a big game can due a lot of problem (as remake all model and something)

so , this can be a decision of the developer -> no high poly please.

at least that is my guess.

Hmm, first they make hight poly model then on top a remesh, a lowpoly and then they bake the normal map. Thats how we have some cool looking objects. If you just go with low poly you later gonna have to paint more texture, with baking you could overlay the ao texture. So the work is one and the same.

…can be a good way , but high poly still different

Attachments

“But of course this is far from a complete game” -> already heard this :slight_smile:

what due 14 ms on logic? is makeScreenshot() ?

strange that rasterizer is so low

anyway
for obj static is possible also keep this level of detail pretty high (not that i know how make it)
but try to put some char that walk around

if the char have the same Level Detail , i think not run more at 60 full :smiley:
so?

this obj becoming uncompatible.
not have sense keep this level of detail if only some obj can keep it.

:wink:

LOD and realism pretty much requires lower quality at a distance… unless your an eagle…

I think, that the polycount isn’t a huge problem.
The game engine can handle thousands of polygons.

Collision/ physics is the problem in many games, I think.
It is necessary to find he correct and best settings.

Not only for physics and graphics, but also for the hole engine, then the engine is not the system what Blender delivers, it’s the whole system you made from! :wink:

Well I believe “good graphics” can just come from strong modeling and texturing. Just spending alittle time on how it looks.

Heres a scene I did the other day and it don’t looks half bad. everything is really low poly; I get 60 frames and 30 while recording. If keep spending more time on the scene the better it looks, that is where good graphics comes from. Or… Unless your talking about some AAA title crazy graphics :open_mouth: