Why would anyone use the BGE?

I disagree, the BGE doesn’t even use PBR. And no engines that I know of use python for scripting.

The thing is, you don’t need it. PBR is just an optional perk a game engine can have. I agree that is makes the game look a little bit more attractive, but you can already make a game very attractive with good lighting and textures.

Also Python is an easy language. Easier than C++ in UE4 and C#/JS in Unity. Beginners tend to understand Python more than those.

I guess that’s PBR in BGE:

I disagree, the BGE doesn’t even use PBR. And no engines that I know of use python for scripting.

There is a great engine where you use Python knowledge very well:yes:… it’s GODOT engine;)
GD script is a lot like Python.

…and what applies to BGE?-Even with an old paint brush, you can create a masterpiece;)
As an artist I can tell you that the only thing missing in BGE is the performance

That’s a pretty big “only”. :stuck_out_tongue: The engine I’m using myself had some performance issues, but they recently released an optimization release which was pretty crazy. The release notes were like a book! Too bad the BGE doesn’t have updates like that (yet).

Panda3D also uses Python (or C++) to script games. All of the heavy lifting is done in C++, so the performance argument (as ever) is relatively invalid.

Even Godot’s development runs circles around the BGE (and then some) and it’s an engine that’s not driven by a billion-dollar company with a large team of full-time developers.

It’s the same story with the Superpowers engine and the recently Open-sourced Atomic game engine. There’s an increasing number of reliably developed options for those who don’t want to deal with royalties, splash-screens, EULA restrictions, a required connection to the internet complete with an account, and/or closed-source development.

That’s a pretty big “only”. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think the BGE has not created for the purpose of creating big/large games but for small games,prototypes and some simpler simulations, for it has sufficient performance:p but a few people there have tried create something bigger in the BGE, KRUM game for example.
It is here, feel of the effort to create a larger, more beautiful game in the BGE, because people here like the BGE.

You make it seem like a billion dollar company with a large team of developers is a bad thing. :stuck_out_tongue: To each their own I guess. I have no problems paying a 5% royalty (well actually I’m making movies right now so I don’t have to pay royalties either) for the time I’m saving in development.

Still, having more alternatives can’t be a bad thing. Well it could be bad for the BGE I guess! :cool:

Sure, but I think game engines should just be a tool instead of something to get attached to. It’s pretty obvious reading this thread too that some seem to have a personal connection to it. I remember reading reviews on steam for a game made in the BGE and some people were recommending the game just because it was made in Blender. For me a user shouldn’t care about what engine the game they’re playing is using, you shouldn’t really be able to tell.

I never said it was a bad thing, I was just pointing out that even Open Source engines with the typical shoestring development budget are doing a lot better in terms of development, user attraction, quality control, and quality of projects compared to the BGE.

Ace, please, stop being BGE’s largest hemroid.

Help, or don’t.

You don’t have to go on and on about the same stuff,
Btw, I usually see at least two commits a day to upbge…
Hopefully once they have the engine smoking fast, they can merge it back…

Fighting against each other wont solve the issue and it will turn into one of those typical brawl bge discussions.

As for why anyone would use bge is mainly because the BGE has lots of potential ,the only (well most visible) issue is as many people been saying for such a long time ,its the performance which limits how big can a game be at times and can also affect the graphical aspect of the game.

Personally I use bge to learn creating games in a fast and clean workflow ,if you learn how to use bge then pretty much almost anything can be done(yeah this includes building your own stuff for the BGE such as particles etc…) but thats where the drawback appears ,features and clean up of the engine .
BGE as many pointed out it needs some good quality clean up ,eg the way bge handles framerate can be weird at times,bring back particles in bge etc…

Most of the time I find people who use unity for their games tend to rely heavenly on blender to create animations and characters ,but they dont choose BGE maybe because of that illusion of the amount of successful games which the other engine may have,or the big library of resources which unity has,or the diversity in scripting which the engine offers and the capability to create AAA games with not a big performance issue like blender.
In fact when someone sees that the game is made in BGE they give a look as if they saw fire for their first time in their life…
Currently specifically areas such as steam the BGE as a bad sort of reputation for not been able to create games which don’t contain major bugs,glitches or performance issues.

If community creates stuff together such as the current UPBGE ,BDX and other addons which benefit the community it will convince more people to invest their time and support BGE ,in the best BGE did get the attention of some experienced developers ,we just need to keep showcasing the engine with games/prototypes and clean ups so more and more people will join in .

I saw these steam reviews too and I totally agree with you. People hyping up a blender game just because it was made in blender is ultimately counter productive. If people play the game and it’s horrible, that will leave a bad taste in there mouth for anything blender related. Not to mention you are robbing someone of their time when you give a skewed review of a game that they spend a part of their day trying out because of that review.

I have played other peoples games,

I have had a peek under the hood as well,

most of them are kinda a pythonic mess.
always------[giant mess in each unit]

not

if doing this------[little thing does this]

always------[manage all actors type 1]

The engine is written to leverage nodes, however they are unfinished.

either convert them to true nodes, or use my scheme, sensor set property, actuator use property.

this and modern upgraded glsl and a built in smooth dynamic lighting manager and also reflection probes…

we will be good to go.

apperently pre baked reflection probes are not that far away either…
(using BindID and PyOpenGL to pass prebaked maps into texture slots)

also we NEED hardware armature skinning…

@BPR

You yourself see how much work Blender still needs to be just a decent GE. Also you forgot the option.

[1 Always] --> All Python code of the game

Which results in a usually not messy python and and no use of logic bricks.

I find it very funny that you guys are criticizing an engine inside its own forum. It’s the same as posting “Why would anyone use Unity” in the Unity forum, or “Why would anyone use Unreal” in the Unreal Engine forum.

If you want the engine to be better you should become better at game making or try to help with code. Criticizing it with meaningless comments and worst of all, inside its OWN forum is not going to solve this issue, it’s going to do the opposite.

So I propose everyone to stop complaining, because that doesn’t solve anything, and start working on your skills instead of just wasting your time trolling on forums.

People seem to have no problem pointing out Blender’s shortfalls in its own community, people using Modo (both current and former users) have no problem pointing out that application’s issues on their forums. Why then, is the BGE so special that it needs protection from that? Why is the BGE so exceptional that its forums are to only be for its fans and no critique from outsiders as to where it falls short or what it needs is allowed (even if said critique is from people who actually were BGE fans at one point)?

If one uses an unpopular game engine to create a good looking and interesting game, he basicly f***ing throws rocks to all those who underestimate it.

… constructive criticism can’t be hurt, I don’t know but it seems to me that BGE fans, they are allergic for that:)

RockyMadio If one uses an unpopular game engine to create a good looking and interesting game, he basicly f***ing throws rocks to all those who underestimate it.

When will be the game (on steam), where players will be satisfied with the quality, then, Yes, but so far, such a game is not there, and I think that will not be because BGE of a little sleep during the times.
…performance-leveling concept/workflow is horrible,GPL-if you make a game for free OK but if you want sell the game is like virus-you never know if it is okay with the license or not.

“constructive criticism can be hurt”

You can criticize, the engine isn’t so special that it can’t be criticized. AS LONG as you truly know what are you criticizing! For example, I don’t see @haidme complaining around the forums like you guys do whenever a post like this appears here.
Instead he spent years of his life to create a game with BGE.

Your game, is your game,

The python code is subject to GPL,
meaning people can take a look at it,

They can’t sell your models,
They can’t steal you game play concepts,(any more then any other game engine)
They can’t sell your story,
They can’t sell ANY of your non code assets unless you license them that way.

that said - I don’t use other people’s code, by the time you understand it, and adapt it to your own needs, you could have written your own that is tailored to your need. GPL is good, and with it, software evolves by people adding back things to the engine if you do them very very very well.

GPL IS ONLY CODE.