Why Your Textures Look Blurry (and Why It’s Okay!)

Hello everyone,

I’ve just completed a video analysis on game texturing, particularly focusing on the results after baking and the often-encountered issue of blurring on intricate details. The video further examines texel density considerations and their impact on gameplay perspectives. I’m interested in gathering feedback and understanding more about shared experiences in this domain.

Appreciate any insights or thoughts on the topic.

5 Likes

I do believe that we sometimes beat ourselves up more than we should. More often than not the viewers wont even notice. That said, I don’t think it should be used as an excuse to slack in the quality of our work, (especially when getting paid for it.) (I know that’s not what you’re suggesting but just throwing it out there. :smile:) I think that we artists tend to only see the mistakes in our work…for instance, when texturing my A10, the shark mouth on the front ended up very pixelly, and every time I opened the project I couldn’t not notice the terribly blurry texture on what was supposed to be the coolest part of the plane.(imo) but in the end I ended up liking the softer look, almost like it had been spray painted. And this morning it got put on the Blender Nation! So yeah, I pretty much reiterated what you said but anywho… don’t beat yourselves up too much ya’ll.

1 Like

Oh yea.

Also there is a difference between portfolio work and production work. For example if I would be doing that trim sheet I showed just for portfolio work, I would probably up the texel density to some crazy value like 2048px/m or maybe even 4096px/m. Just to make it look good on a render. But for a game or other real time environment that would be just crazy. I think a lot of (beginning) people look at portfolio pieces of AAA people and are confused by how good they look and think that it’s the same exact quality those people do in production.

1 Like

Very true.

1 Like

An experiment, making a blog post based on tutorial for those who prefer to read instead of watching: :link: https://bit.ly/blurry-textures-blog