Wierd modeling artefact caused by subd

Hello guys! I am trying to model a wierd object, and I encountered a problem, that is caused by subd (I mean, probably that is the problem, cause if I don’t display it, it diasppears)

temp.blend (923.8 KB)

I would be very grateful if y’all could provide me with some help.

You did it again!
Put the solidify modifier after the booleans :slightly_smiling_face:

Also set the boolean to fast not exact for some reason when it is set to exact the cutting object appears.

3 Likes

aah, thank you for looking out for me, but I actually tried that.

I guess I’ll have to do something about this, then, right?
The boolean tries to cut thouugh the “mass” mesh, and not the solidified planes.

Set the booleans to fast solver as in my screenshot.

aahh, jeez. I am sorry. I actually had this type of problem, first while vollowing a tutorial. Sorry for bothering you with such little problems.

1 Like

No bother :slightly_smiling_face:

I am not sure why that happens with the exact setting. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

what you think I could do with this part of my mesh? It would be better if it would be “wielded” together… I can’t think of anything other than using a full autonome mesh to replace that part. Or I could just leave it there. Maybe rethink the robot I am trying to create…

Not sure how you got that extra layer, do you have 2 solidify modifiers? if so delete the one after the booleans.

well, to be honest, I have a outer, cover layer, and a inner layer of mesh, so it is 2 differenct object, that has the same 2 boolean.

anyway, I am sure I will find a solution to that little inconvinience. Thank you for your help, I am very grateful <33

Sorry I had to go out, you could avoid having 2 meshes for this (as long as you do not want the outer shell to hing or pull off in animation)

You would need to make a cutter object for your boolean that only cuts half way through the “cross slits” (if that makes sense)

Well, to be honest, I don’t really know what you are trying to tell me by “make a cutter object for your boolean that only cuts half way through the “cross slits””

So I should cut the “cross slits” with a boolean?

The first part, I understand, I guess. If I could find a way to do everything in one mesh, and not 2 seperate objects, than it could work. Don’t know, will be looking into it in the morning.

I meant using an “egg cross shape” to cut half way through like this:

Unfortunately it was not a good idea, you would have to solidify the object before the boolean.
You would then run into similar problems as before. So not a good idea.

To tell the truth I hate booleans, they create sloppy topology that usually need a lot of cleanups to avoid shading issues and problems with subdivision.

When I use them I tend to apply them and clean up the topology before going on.

If you want to model your whole mesh like this keeping it non destructive you will run into many problems. Also Blender will start to lag at some point because it is continually re-evaluating your geometry, booleans take up quite a bit of calculation.

Change the order…

temp.blend (932.2 KB)

1 Like

yeah, well… you are probably right, but I am just trying to figure out what part of modeling is the most exciting for me. I like booleans, and I am not that good at plain modeling yet. Once I finish this project, I wil probably take my time to fugire that out too.

1 Like

Well I do use them, but I apply them and then clean up. It is certainly good to try all the different methods.

There are many hard surface modelers that swear by them. Also add-ons like Mesh Machine that make things easier (I do not use it but from what I have read it is really good)

Curiously the first statement on their page reminded me of your problem:

“MESHmachine is a blender mesh modeling addon with a focus on hard surface work without subdivision surfaces.”

Booleans, bevels and things like that often need “cleaning up” if you plan to Subdivide.

yes, I heard about it too, ran into it in some of the tutorials. I do find it pricey though, but it is a good addon, so I guess, worth the money. It’s just that I treat blender like a hobby for now at least, and I am a little bit afraid that I will get bored, and return to my main stuff.

First, sorry for not checking the site until now, I have been working on this little project, on which I have met another barrier. How could I efficiently copy these “attachment points” ?
I had some complications about it.

The easiest way would be to… oh? I could mirror it, just like I did with those metal sheets, right?
Ehh… Is there any more efficient way to do it? It is like this?

You could instance them, if you hit “alt D” you will make an instanced copy, you can align them to your object using the snap set to closest - face- align rotation to target.

There are 2 advantages of this method.
If you edit the instances in edit mode it will edit all the instances at once.
Instances use less memory than simple copies.

Didn’t know about this feature. Thank you, again. <33