Wiggle bones (a jiggle bone implementation for 2.8)

yup i can reproduce. seems to happen on b20, but not b16.

i also checked and it doesn’t happen with the new version i’m working on. although there’s a frustrating issue happening with this version that i’m trying to track down in terms of whether or not a bone is set to inherit scale.

also a quick UI question for people: currently wiggle bone controls are in the bone properties tab. and i had options to disable the wiggle effect at the object or scene level in their respective tabs. in the new version, i’m trying to reduce the need to jump around between tabs, and put scene/object/bone toggles all in one panel. does this read clearly?

also, i was contemplating if the whole panel should move to the 3d view properties panel? the bone panel is already pretty cluttered, and 3d view controls would allow you to tweak with that view maximized.

8 Likes

I’m not sure, but it seems Blender 2.91 crashes if you render Viewport Render Animation with Wiggle bones enabled. (no bake) (wiggle_bones1_5_b16.py)

AV-Sync doesn’t match the baked animation (I’ve already read why above), the “Frame Rate Scaling” function tries to help, but the results are still very different from AV-Sync.

But the baked animation exactly repeats No Sync.

As far as I understand, to see how the animation will look, you need to configure it in No Sync, then be sure to bake it, then render it in Viewport Render Animation, if the result does not suit you, delete the animation of bones in NLA Editor, and try to re-configure the physics of bones. All right? I just want to know if I’m doing everything right.

I can’t say anything about the UI, I’m still too new to blender.

yup, av sync skips frames to make the animation play back at the intended “speed” but these dropped frames create uneven gaps in the physics calculations, leading to more inaccurate results. ‘no sync’ forces every frame to be drawn, which should then match the results when baking.

for the crash, do you have render>lock interface enabled? i would try that - otherwise baking first is the ideal method for renders in the current versions (which are definitely in more and more need of this new version to address bugs being found!)

For what it’s worth, I liked the wiggle bone controls being in the bone properties tab. Just seems to make the most sense to me.

Good work on this addon and the new version you’re teasing looks great.

Hello,
I have three rigged characters that utilize wiggle bones, but whenever I try to link more than one to a separate scene, it only uses wiggle bones on the first rig imported. Is there a way I can fix this?

An update to this, I figured out that if you toggle the scene wiggle bone checkbox it will update them all to work correctly.

2 Likes

I have little question about the relative_vector function in this script?

def relative_vector(m1,m2):
    mat = m2.inverted() @ m1
    vec = (mat.inverted().to_euler().to_matrix().to_4x4() @ Matrix.Translation(mat.translation)).translation
    return vec

is this function identical to below?

def relative_vector(m1,m2):
    vec = m1.inverted.to_euler().to_matrix()@(m1.translation - m2.translation)
    return vec

I am not sure if I understood correctly that m1 and m2 are the last frame and current frame’s matrix in world space? thanks to your awesome addon. it’s much better to directly use bullet’s joints

1 Like

Hallo shteeve,
do you think a physics calculation for hair movement by wind will be possible in the future version? The user named schamph brought up the idea in this discussion: How to make a wind effect on hair

there is also a crash when projectile addon is active along with wiggle bones addon

I can’t wait, I want to test it out so much aaaah!

It is nice to see the progress of this add-on! I hope that it was also useful for you to learn new things :smiley:

Hi Shteeve I think your tool is amazing and I was curious to test this new physics feat, but I can’t activate it, do where I need to activate rigidy body precisely?

Oops!!! Thats so amazing!!!
cant wait version 2 release!!!

this addon as it is now its nearing perfection, the only think it needs now for production is to be able to create custom presets so you can have presets for different things, in our case we’ll use it in several differen characters in different types of things on their bodies so if we can have a preset for each thing we wouldnt have to punch in the numbers manually each time
but this is totally awesome!
thank you!

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Wiggle bones (a jiggle bone implementation for 2.8):

Your addon don’t work well, when I try to render my test animation, my model stuck and wont move in final result. Work only bones which connected to addon. How to fix it, I use blender version 2.90.
I tried to check in 2.82 but the same problem =|

This add on is so cool. I used it for my very first learning project, which didn’t revolve around just following a tutorial.

I hope you’ll like it :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Hey, I know the additive option is great that it creates the keys in a new NLA strip and moves your keys to an other strip
I’d love it if when it was turned off instead of deleting the current keys it would merge them all together
would you think you could do that? because it seems completely useles that it just deletes my animation and only keeps the keys of the simulated bones

1 Like

Any updates on the latest version? Really cant wait for collisions to be possible.

3 Likes

Edit: I baked the wiggle and it worked. Guess you have to bake it to keyframes for rendering

Did you figure out a way to fix this? I’m having the same problem as you. The rig moves perfectly in the viewport but when rendered it just stays still

1 Like

Thank you for this super addon. Realy helped me alot! The only thing I realy miss is to be able to access it on Linked in riggs.

Best
Daniel