Wiggle bones (a jiggle bone implementation for 2.8)

This. I need me some 2.0 and collision. I’m even putting together a tutorial on how to do car suspensions with this plugin as the star!

3 Likes

i feel like i’m perpetually on the verge of getting everything working! its diving me nuts too!

i’ve been paining over trying to get a good algorithm that generalizes to nice rope physics but also accommodates stiffness for more traditional jiggle effects.

3 Likes

definitely look into baking the jiggle to keyframes so its not being calulated at rendertime (technically i didn’t even think that should work in the existing version)

2 Likes

Absolutely love this add on!

Does anyone know of some good full tutorials for it ?

Mainly trying to get an understanding of how to make clean seamless looped animations.

1 Like

To get seamless loops you double the number of frames you intend to use and repeat all relevant keyframes. After you bake the 2nd half of the timeline should loop perfectly! Maybe theres an easier way I am forgetting.

Does anyone know if this would work on Blender 3.0?
I’ve tried it on 2.93 and have had serious issues with baking into keyframes.

i checked on both 2.93 and 3.0 alpha and at least in a simple test case, I was able to bake to keyframes in both without issue.

things to note: you want to disable the wiggle bone calculations after baking or it will double up on top of the baked keyframes. i have that “bake disables…” option in the wiggle panel. also note when using the “additive option” it will push your existing keyframes into blender’s NLA to keep things non destructive. if you don’t have additive selected, you have to select all animated bones including the wiggle bones, which isn’t exactly ideal as it’ll key every frame on those bones too.

probably the most flexible workflow is to familiarize yourself with blender’s ‘bake animation’ operator directly, so you can control all aspects of the baking process. then disable the wiggle bones manually after baking.

Thank you for your quick reply!

I am currently testing on Blender 3.0 Alpha, my current issue is that when I use the additive option while baking all Wiggle Bones (Selected through the “Select Wiggle Bones” option) after baking, the wiggle does not appear, I only notice a tiny bit of pre-wiggling for the first 10 or so frames.

Also if I am baking without the additive option selected is it only the animated bones I have to select? Or is it the entire armature?

I have been messing with Blender’s “Pose - Animation - Bake Action” function, but nothing has resolved the issue.

Hmm, do you have multiple view layers by chance? I recall an old issue with that, but I thought it was resolved.

I have one view layer, hence why this entire thing is perplexing to me. I have been running trial and errors for 2 days now and haven’t nailed down a problem.
Once again, appreciate the help.

Forgot to mention, it works -perfect- in the viewport, it’s solely the baking where it falls apart for me.

Oof that’s frustrating, sorry! If you’re able to reproduce the problem in an example file you’d be comfortable sharing I can try to take a peek.

Do you have a private way to contact you/send files? Such as a business email or discord?

Hey i have been using WIggle bones since the first version. I was hoping to see someday a collision setup, will this ever happen? it would be so great, to make this super great addon more usable.

for now we are bound to make custom cloth simulation rigs instead to get collisions, which cannot be easily stopped in between animations, and the baking process is quite annoying, as you always have to bake them into multiple actions into a cache file.

with Wiggle bones i love that you can just bake into keyframes wherever in the timelime you are with one click and it will always reset from the loop start, so you can have multiple animations with physics baked within 1 action without the physics to break at the start of the loop. It is so fast and easy to use!

So i really hope there will be a collision implementation sometime? please say yes :slight_smile:

3 Likes

i don’t want to jinx it, but i’m just about done a HUGE overhaul of my wiggle add-on that i’m hoping will address just about every issue that has come up with the current add-on.

that includes collisions!

12 Likes

That sounds fantastic!

2 Likes

that sounds great! I love this tool and I’m hyped what comes in the future to make it even more usable! :slight_smile: do you know already when you are gonna publish your overhaul? I am very excited!

I also have a question to the current state of your plugin. If I bake my wiggle bones it also “bakes/deletes” all my other keyframes I did for my animated character. Is there a way that I can keep those keyframes (arm/feet/body movements/…) to manipulate it after I baked my wiggle bones?

1 Like

the bake button in the wigglebone panel is just a convenience function. enabling ‘additive’ should push the existing animation into an nla strip for non-destructive baking. if you want to bake into your current action, i’d recommend just using the standard action baking functionality in blender where you can set things exactly as you want them.

in the new version i’m likely reversing the behaviour, defaulting to baking into the current action, and you can make an nla strip of your current animation manually if you want.

3 Likes

yes pleaaaaase! can’t wait! anytime soon? I think many people waiting for this :slight_smile:

maybe we can support author somehow?

2 Likes

appreciate the sentiment! although mostly i’m just looking to give back to the blender community, slow as i tend to move!

i’m just hunting down the cause of a few bugs ahead of getting it out to you all! (although i’m sure there’ll be more bugs discovered once more people start playing with it)

3 Likes