Will AI replace artists?

It should be called simulated intelligence (SI) until the day a sufficiently evolved SI introduces itself, hopefully friendly as opposed to pissed off in a “All Humans Must Die” kind of way…

2 Likes

According to me, there’s just something in the human brain that makes that our prerogative - the ideas that percolate in our brain come from the sum TOTAL of our experiences - where we went that day, what we ate, whether we had a conversation with a friend that day about something nice, etc. etc. That kind of thing gives us our personalities! Are you seriously suggesting that AI will have a PERSONALITY? It has never experienced the real world…?!! And never will until maybe someone hooks up CCTV and a ton of IoT sensors into a giant quantum computer or something, which can process all that, and gain something…resembling consciousness! :slight_smile:

I, personally, am NOT a fan of this concept.

I saw this video long time ago - just wondering if there’s been any updated version of it since then??

1 Like

Hear hear!

The evolution of machine consciousness seems to be seen through the skeuomorphic lens of Hollywood. Evolution is a little more complex than that. At the moment we are debatablely still barely at the level of unicellular life of machine complexity. Protozoa, viruses, bacteria etc are able to reproduce themselves and reprogramme their DNA to adapt and react to their environment over many generations. Most AI we interact with has been anthropomorphised by programmers to simulate human interaction and is at best simulated intelligence.

Technology, which is creating the biome for machine consciousness - which includes the real world not just the virtual, is evolving at a breakneck speed and we will start to see the first equivalents of multicellular life. As diversity and complexity of the biosphere (mechano/technosphere) evolves and increases exponentially we will start to see the emergence of machine consciousness, to the extent of cats and other complex animals.

When complexity and cognitive density reaches a high enough level, we will see the emergence of machine consciousness at the level of humans and exponentially more intelligent at a mind numbingly faster pace than human evolution. If we as a species do not destroy ourselves and our planet, it is inevitable. Our machine equivalents will have a much wider spectrum of real world and virtual experience available to them, what is debatable what form these “higher” brain functions like emotion, creativity and self awareness will take. They certainly will not be human, but may share a few equivalencies with us. Let us hope our new overlords are more forgiving, empathic and compassionate than we are…

2 Likes

If lack of intelligent design created intelligence, then I’m sure it’s possible for intelligent designers to build something smarter.

If life was designed by intelligence (like aliens or something), then surely it’s possible to do it over again.

It’s not really a question of if, but when. 10 years? 100 years? 1000 years? Nobody knows. We can only guess.

From 2010 to 2020, not a lot of innovation in major tech companies has happened. Video resolution went from 480p to 4k & computers got a bit faster, but like the iMac hasn’t changed designs for a decade & things are still largely the same. But when true AI comes out, it will probably change the world. Like when iPhones came out, AI will probably be in almost every household and do virtually everything for people (including art & 3D modeling).

People might be essentially useless compared to the computers in the future. AI will probably be able to make movies without human guidance, faster & better than humans could ever do. Why would you write a screenplay if a computer could write a better one in a split second? Why would you design a car in 3D if a computer could design it to be safer, better looking, and more technologically advanced?

In the meantime though, AI isn’t there yet to my knowledge. It’s probable some government already has true AI & it’s top secret, but right now artists are still in demand.

One thing is for sure though. The human brain is a mechanical object, so there’s no reason why something can’t be built smarter.

1 Like

If you define that creativity can only be achieved by humans, there is no need for a discussion.

You’re taking the more traditional definition of AI, but I think for the purposes of this conversation I believe the OP intended the marketed definition of AI which is really more about Machine Learning than actual intelligence, and from that perspective we’re getting dangerously close to obsoleting a lot of jobs. Rotoscoping is one of those skillsets which I think will disappear within the next 5 years. It’s tedious and repetitive and I personally hate to do it, but I know there are people who make a living doing it full time, and I think those jobs are in trouble without needing to reach the level of AI that you’re talking about.

2 Likes

Back at the begining it would take a whole day for one frame. Then they would take pictures of the screen. Now we have software that does things so we do not have to do that. I agree with @Unreal3DFX . Think of how cool it would be to have a add on like blenderkit, but there are thousands of possibilities of one specific object. You set the parameters or feed a image to and it creates. Photogrammetry is pretty cutting edge. It takes the modeling out but you still need a human right now to take the pictures and input them into the program, but that could change. People in the 1800s would think are cell phones, computers, and etc are alien technology or witchcraft. Think of the impossible even when it doesn’t seem relevant and do not be afraid of change. Change is what brought us to this point

this is the kind of system I was referring to

Interesting topic, but I didn’t read the whole thread.
My thoughts:

• Did the Internet replace the newspapers?
  • Did Netflix replace those broadcast channels?
    There will be always need for artists. And there are still newspapers.
1 Like

A very interesting discussion, My personal view is no it will not. I agree with many statements here that it will take over a lot of the tedious parts, especially for photo realism. 3d scans already exist and in the future many 3d representations will not be hand made. This is already happening.

But in the same way that photographs did not kill traditional artists and electronic music has not killed bands, I believe that us humans do have an artistic value that will be difficult to surpass artificially, at least in the near future.

We also have the ability to use technology to our advantage, AI will unleash many artistic possibilities that will let the artists ideas flow with more ease.

We are living a very exciting time in 3d, the work we are doing now will in the future be looked at as pioneering and become digital heritage.

Who will forget space invaders!

The prospects of the virtual universe are unlimited, there is room for everyone human and AI. I think many people underestimate the scope that virtual worlds, products, marketing, art etc will achieve.

As for young people who wonder if it is worth learning 3d, go for it. This is a profession of the future.

3 Likes

This is not a good example of AI, the program basically rearranges assets that have obviously been created by somebody human with the help of 3d software. Also a human has given the code the parameters to understand the basic concepts of bedroom, messy, object placement etc I do not see why you think this is intelligence.

Not intelligence but just a comfort way of doing certain things and iterating room(in this case) until you get most liking preset that suits your view. Same is with other things that more automated options are useful than doing everything from scratch and wasting time. Simple example is that current normal baking in Blender needs so much fiddling and in Substance it is way more automated, you drop hi poly mesh and it is ready to bake.

I totally agree, many tasks that are now a pain will be automated and made much easier in the future, but that will not replace the artist.

And i hope it will not ever replace…until AI is with neural brain then it is inevitable. Now lets hope for best for future that has very comfortable tools to use for creating art. Best luck to Blender developers so everyone else can Blend fast and easily :straight_ruler: :triangular_ruler: :building_construction: :house: :wink:

2 Likes

I wish it would replace the suits, producers, and directors who’ve been shoveling garbage at us for way too long now.

Or maybe it already has? Aha! It all makes sense now. Numbers on a chart. D’oh! I already know this. How could I have been so blind.

Great discussion. Very interesting. Always is.

I don’t know why you think direct human experiences is the only possible source of ideas. The internet is full of data (images, movies, interviews, stories, podcasts, articles, etc. More than enough to come up with something, at least in theory).

While there is a good amout of truth to AI being a marketing term, it isn’t just that. Saying there is no real intelligence doesn’t really mean much unless you define intelligence, but one thing is for sure, things like neural networks can learn. Can you learn creativity? I don’t know. But I don’t think you can distinguish “creativity” from really advanced throwing stuff at a canvas. I mean a lot of what artists do CAN be described as “throwing stuff at a canvas”, figuratively.

1 Like

As a career being a 3D artist has not been something you want to pick if you want to be rich for a while now. People do it because they love it not for the money. If you want money have something else as a day job.

1 Like