Windows Jahka particles patch + macosx release P13

So he gives us updated particles a few versions ago, then adds some nice features for the next release a particles rewrite, then shows us what’s possibly in store for the following http://users.utu.fi/jhkarh/prog/particles/edit_teaser.htm grow hair, comb hair, cut hair, and now this? When is he ever going to stop? And he is 22 or so, he has a bright future ahead of him. Thanks for your hard work Jahka, your spoiling us!

Sooo, ummm, what’s next on the drawing table?

Jahka put a boids sample file : http://users.utu.fi/jhkarh/prog/particles/basic_boids.blend

This is wild. For fun I put in a landscape and turned on the 2D in the physics with the landscape as the object. The boids follow the topography like ants swarming, even taking different routes every pass. I then baked and shrunk the landscape a bit and it’s like a real life fly over.

Brilliant stuff Jahka, can’t say enough.

Enzoblue…I had no luck with boids - they just stuck themselves to the surface.

Could you post and animation/a .blend file to show us? I am wondering if this technique could be used to have drops of water flowing down over a character’s face (for example).

Koba

Good lord! :RocknRoll:

This is one heck of a particle system! I can see using Blender for VFX with this, which is my Dream Come True! :yes:

There goes my evening… time to get cozy with Blender!

Koba: I just took the blend file Lguillaume posted above, added a landscape, then in the physics tab of the particle emiiter I turned on 2D and put the name of the landscape object in the OB field. Made no other changes. The boids were stuck to the surface but they moved along it, so I baked and shrunk the landscape a bit so they were flying over it.

If you’re using fluids it might be a trick because after baking the fluids are voxels, not meshes.

Thanks for that Enzoblue!

It works now as expected and hoped. I wasn’t really expecting to get fluids to work properly with this, in fact I was thinking of using this as a substitute for fluid simulations for sweat/tears. If I can parent metaballs, it may be possible to get a half decent effect.

Koba

It would be AB-SO-LUTELY GREAT!!! if these particles could work together with fluids!

Especially the expode modifier would be really nice if that could be used together with fluids (because I need it for my short :p).

For some reason your latest build just crashes as soon as it starts up on my computer. I’m using windows ME (don’t ask me why), but I could try it on windows 98 as well.

Anybody made a Linux build with Jashka’s latest patch (17/02)???

Hello, new compilation for windows :
7zip (3.85MB)
zip (5.31MB)

Wooo! Can’t wait to test.

Just curious, with the new version: Is the newest build (windows) with Jahka’s delicious particles made on 2.42 or 2.43? After all, if 2.42, I am assuming that a file using elements from 2.43 will get chewed up pretty bad when loading for hair addition… Would be fantastic to get the best of both worlds :slight_smile:

The build’s are built from the latest CVS, last time I checked, so they should be fully 2.43 compatible

Mmmm… yummy…!

Strange… no-one noticed the new Particle patch? The one from the 25th? With the 2 new brushes (Softbody and softness)? And the load of bugfixes?:smiley:
The wiki page also got a lot of new info (wiki.blender.org/Current Projects/Particle rewrite)
I wonder how far Jahka is in implementing his ideas…
There is that 2.44 release that’s only a few months away which MIGHT be the delivery verhicle needed to bring this extraordinary functionality to the people at large… :yes:
Of course if Jahka’s only getting started, we might as well put it off till the BIG rewrite (would be a pity though…):no:
Now, about that Linux built…:mad:

He is working hard. Thanks for the update!

Does anyone know if volumetric particles are going to be implemented into blender? There were a few words about it last summer then kinda disappeared. :frowning:

It would be cool if Jahka’s effects could be used in conjunction with volumetric particles.

From feb 25?? I just updated my build to the one from feb 17, there’s a new one? With more creamy goodness?? I am going to have a sitdown with my informants, they are not doing their job well enough!!

You got a link to a download?

Cognis, here you go:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Particles_Rewrite