windows vista display problems

Yesterday I installed blender 2.47 on two computers at home both running Vista home. I first installed python 2.5, and the installations went fine. But, when I move the cursor around the interface the big buck bunny splash screen keeps popping up (the same on both computers). Also, if I try to scale an object it jumps and pops…the scale is not smooth. Additionally, if I try to modify the user settings (top bar), then move to another setting (filepaths for instance) the menu buttons for the last settings panel keep popping up!

After a few minutes of this blender finally crashes bigtime.

I know vista home is a general pain in the behind, but I can’t imagine that blender won’t run on this platform…can anyone please help me?

Sounds like a driver issue to me. Make sure you have the latest driver for your videocard installed.

/Nathan

Try this. Right click blender, properties, compatibility tab (all vista users should know where this is), then click disable desktop composition. Or you might try disable desktop themes, I can’t remember which one it is, but it’s one of the two. Try one, if that doesn’t work, try the other. You don’t need to use both, just one of them will work- but I don’t remember which one that is. Try disable desktop composition first. I am done repeating myself.

IF they are both new machines or just new to having vista loaded on them. Then perform a windows update on both systems. This should get you up and going. I run blender on a vista home pc and I have never had the problem you are stating.