Winged Fantasy Figure-Need help with Coat

So, my little brother came up to me one day with a drawing he did and asked me to make it in Blender. I wasn’t working on any personal projects so I decided to give it a go. So far, I really like how its turned out. The wings connected to the body perfectly (though they need some work done still), and I like the way the boots and pants turned out. I just started the coat, which will be trench-coat like but with a hood. I don’t own a coat like this and I’ve been looking at images from the net, but I can’t get it to look good. If I could get some help with this coat, that would be great. Like some modeling tips or tut links. Also, I realize that the pants look waaaay to smooth. They don’t have enough wrinkles and I do not want to use the cloth simulation for them. So any tips to get those looking more cloth like would be appreciated as well. And just some general feedback would be good as well.

Oh, all the materials are done in blender. Some of the normal values are a bit high and the material on the boot is stretched a bit, but I like the way they look right now and I’m trying to get back to focussing on the modeling.

Please comment about anything, but I’m really looking for some help on the clothing. I’m thinking that the BlenderCookie Training series has clothing like this, and I feel like I could learn a lot from it. Anyone purchase it?

Oops. Crud. Most of the images are aved in PNG format and wont load… I’ll get to those when I get back, but I gotta go to Marching Band practice. :o

Attachments

I like your brother’s artwork - quite stylish. The 3d boots are quite neat too.

Looks like your off to a good start.

The modelling Kara videos from BlenderCookie’s 2010 series is great. The Kara videos are up to about 16 hours now (which is textured and rigged) and over 7GB of downloads. It covers a lot of different modelling techniques and the clothing and accessories get multires and sculpting for finer details like wrinkles.
Another from Blendercookie’s citizen exclusive is modelling the mechanic which goes through sculpting wrinkles in his jeans. Same basic technique as Kara’s clothing.

The main technique for sculpting wrinkles is to draw higher than you need them to be, pinch the tops together a bit then smooth out, the smoothing will lower the excess height you start with. You can also draw negative along side the rise to give a bit more of a ripple.
Also work in small steps. Add multires level 2 (about equal to subsurf) and add some detail, increase one level at a time adjusting the detail closer to what you want. Don’t just add multires level 6 and start adding detail.

Also if you are using 2.5 recalculate your normals before adding multires and sculpting.

Oh, so I will have to sculpt after all. I was hoping to avoid that, cause I’m awful at it. But I guess if I look at enough references for long enough the image will be burned into my retinas. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, heres a quick pic of what I forgot to put up. I’ll definitely get the Training Series now as well. I’m thinking on just getting both parts, I find all the “Get to Know Blender” bits of any series or book always teaches me something new, and I need an in depth tutorial of the new interface.

Attachments

I found sculpting hard and never got anything useful done with it, my old machine didn’t help either. With the recent changes to the sculpt system (in 2.5beta) it is much more responsive making it easier. With the mechanic series I decided to push through with the new sculpt system and found that with a modelled character and slow steps to get finer details I have become comfortable with using the sculpt tools. I doubt I could start with a cube and get a great character but refining a close to finished model isn’t too hard.

If you follow the kara series you will get the opportunity to sculpt finer details on a modelled mesh. Take the opportunity to give it a go, using it for a while will make it more comfortable to work in.

Actually if you have a fairly recent machine try sculpting-a-rock-face. I couldn’t do the fine details that he finishes off with but it can be some good sculpting practice to get comfortable with the tools and experiment to see how they all work.