Winter morning in Bohemian Switzerland

Tried to recreate an old painting I have. The place is called Pravčická brána but real one is quite different

Steps_anim

Artstation page

57 Likes

You’re #featured! :+1:

This is a pleasant scene.

very nice artwork

Very nicely done. You’ve really captured the mood and painting quality. The snowy rocks look excellent, how did you make them? Sculpted with a shader for the snow? Or are they UV textured with displacement?

1 Like

amazing work

1 Like

I like it very much. The only suggestion I would make is that the backdrop could be slightly darker so it doesn’t appear washed-out, and possibly a warmer color. During the “making of” sequence there is actually a lighting that I like better than that of the final shot above it. Let me see those distant crags just a little bit more through and above the archway. (Unless that was not what the original artist did.)

I would love to see a page or watch a video that shows how you constructed this magnificent piece.

It’s definitely a lovely image, but something is off about the camera that makes it look like a dollhouse. Focal length maybe?

1 Like

Hey. It’s just september and you make me think of christmas already…

Love the mood. And I don’t mind the “off” dollhouse effect here - ot seems you aimed for painterly style (as you mentioned) and some dose of stylised non photorealistic is just in place.

I am not completely sure about the composition though.

Anyway great piece…

Jarek D (DJ)

1 Like

The arch and nearby rocks are roughly sculpted and details added with 3 heightmaps with object coordiantes. The same used for foreground rocks but sculpting is more accurate and heighmaps intensity is lower.

Very beautiful :grinning:

Great work man! Love Switzerland, been there myself. Beautiful place, nice people. But your work is beautiful!

hi bunnyhog27! bohemian switzerland is a region in the north-western Czech Republic not in switzerland (i’m from switzerland :slight_smile: @alexgudkov: beautiful picture! it really looks like a painting to me.

Oh man feel so silly XD. Didn’t really know there were more places named Switzerland! But it is still a beautiful picture/painting! Thanks for informing me Manoo! Its great to know!