WIP - Alligator Snapping Turtle

Thinking I’m done with the high res sculpt. Wanted to get some opinions from y’all over night and get some ideas for tomorrow. Let me know what you guys think! Feel free to bash on it, I don’t mind the criticism.

There seems to be many “sub-breeds” of these things to reference from, it’s making it difficult to create accurate details as they change from one reference image to another. So I’ve got a bit of a frankenturtle.

Sculpted entirely in Blender. Planning to retopo and take into Substance Painter. Once finished I hope to sell this model on Turbosquid and potentially some other platforms.

4 Likes

I really like it, but with the large amount of wrinkles and detail on the skin, I feel like the outer part of the shell, and head are lacking some, it just looks too smooth compared to the rest of it, but textures should help a lot with that too. Like maybe try to add the lines of wear on the shell as shown in the last reference photo. Also, I feel like the spikes on the neck and front legs need to be articulated, and bigger. And it is an animal in the wild right? So I think it is okay if it isn’t perfectly symmetrical, so adding some impurities parts that may be worn down in the wild, it shouldn’t be symmetrical, to add some character, and context, and give more food for the imagination, wondering how that part got worn down, etc.

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll see what I can do!

1 Like