WIP - Attack on Splash Screens (2.8 and 2.9)

Creating the topic, will fill in more later!

Finally got to work on this concept I have been brewing in my mind for a while.

About me:
I am an engineering student who wants to get into CGI, more specifically to create NPR (non-photorealistic) artwork and finally get into producing anime. I started when Spring had just come out and used 2.8, so that’s where I began to look for ideas.

The idea:
I am very much into anime, and one of my favorite series is ‘Attack on Titan’, which is a show about humans fighting and [spoiler alert!] turning into giant man eating monsters.
So in my scene, Autumn will be transforming into the giant fox from 2.9’s splash screen.

Here is a set of references I gathered:

1 Like

Created a basic sketch concept using grease pencil:

1 Like

I downloaded the files from Blender cloud and proceeded to clean them up and only copy what I want. It was interesting to see the thousands of modifiers and drivers that were used on Autumn’s rig, which I all deleted.

I did some basic modelling to add elements to the scene, here is a WIP

Will spend some time polishing and adding more details, also Autumn’s rig/parenting is a bit screwed so ATM I am thinking of modelling that pose entirely from scratch.

Will keep updating, happy blendering!

1 Like

Exciteddd to see your final work :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Hey! As we’re entering the final days of the challenge, I’d like to give you some helpful tips to make sure you can successfully complete your entry. Please see my new post on the FAQ topic.

A modelling update:

The ribs that I had added originally were too symmetric/array like, so I edited the curves to make them look more natural. I used a simple cylinder array with a curve modifier to model the spine.

So far I am happy with my progress but I feel like I am running short on time. Looking at other submissions has been very inspiring and I think I will experiment with volume cards since they produce great results when uploaded to sketchfab.

Also minor update on the paths in the background, I edited the middle one to look more like lightning, that fits the AoT style that I am wishing to nail.

1 Like

Update:

I noticed that I had worked a lot of hours before putting an update on this thread, so I have decided I will post a long reply talking about everything I did in the final reply to this thread.

Brb, happy blendering!

1 Like

Looking forward to the update! Make sure to get it on Sketchfab by Thursday, September 15, and tag it #bcon22challenge

Hey! Just a quick reminder that there’s now less than 12 hours remaining to wrap up your challenge entry - submissions close at 2022-09-15T21:59:00Z, GMT+1 (click on the link for some international times).

If you haven’t done so already, please review this post which contains some essential information for preparing your submission.

At the very least, upload your work to Sketchfab as soon as possible and add the #bcon22challenge tag.

It’s also a good idea to add a link to your WIP topic in the description of your Sketchfab model so we can easily find it.

I’ll also keep a close eye on the FAQ topic today, so if you have any issues or questions please post it there as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Hey @bartv and @ogbog , thanks for the encouragement!

Unfortunately since I am unable to edit the title and thumbnail of this thread, I have created a new one which contains everything. Please consider that thread with my final entry.

Here’s the link:

1 Like