[WIP]Bevel after Boolean

Works with Union, Intersect and Difference.
Some screenshots are made in the previous version. The result may be different.

If there can be achieved such a thing -a perfect blend, regarding topology, with the original model- we will have a fully working ‘mesh fusion’ (or a ‘hard mesh’) inside Blender… something that will revolutionize modeling in Blender!

The needed thing, however, is to automatize somehow the process… making it a single tool, without the need of going through all this procedure with the modifiers.

The best would be to make the bevel modifiers works on top of boolean modifiers like in houdini.

The ground-work is ready, because of this addon. Though the actual process consist mostly macros and I’m trying to look for a way to distinguish the ‘bevel’ geometry and the ‘original’ model. If there is a way, then the process will be easier.

The best situation would be that the ‘original’ mesh and ‘bevel’ mesh are disconnected, that way there is a clear boundary of vertices to work with. At that point, all I need to do is to create an auto-merge function for each pair of boundary-vertices-loop that moves the original mesh’s vertices onto the their closest co-responding verts on the ‘Bevel’ stripe.

The resulting mesh will certainly not work with another SubSurf modifier. To really achieve MechFusion kind of result, there has to be a modifier and this modifier must only work in conjunction of the Boolean and Subsurf modifier. All the process also has to be done on the geometry after the subsurf because any triangles would induce imperfection into the subsurf result.

I’m not sure how to make a new modifier for blender…

It would be really sick to have mesh fusion like function inside blender. I really hope you find a way to achieve that solution, in my logic that would be some sorta modifier that holds all boolean shapes made on the object and then top of that bevels them, so it wont matter if you add more booleans it would auto bevel the object after that, and this all would be non destructive you could move and tweak those boolean shape objects that are stored in different layer etc.

TeaCrab… I do not know from programming but I have an experience from working with Groboto (it is the first app that the authors of Mesh fusion implemented this ‘miracoulous’ method of applying quite smooth appearing bevellings-filletings on boolean seams), so the thing I can say is that in Mesh fusion’s case too the resulting meshes are final, you can not apply to them any further subdivision. They have patches that constitute the bevelling-filleting seams which do not give the opportunity of applying further subdivision to the resulting model.

And, of course, Mesh fusion too works with dense, somehow, meshes. It does not work with low poly meshes.

I think that the most important element in such a bevelling-filleting is acquiring a smooth transition between the bevel-fillet patch and the whole object. If this becomes achieved then the task becomes accomplished too… then we can have a first step towards a Mesh Fusion like tool inside Blender (I am saying a ‘first step’ because Mesh fusion has the ability to alter the bevels-fillets’ thickness and smoothness on the fly too… another great sub-function of the tool).

I do put below the link to a relatively new site about Mesh fusion… there you can study -in the videos- the kind of meshes which come out after the bevelling-filleting of the boolean seams. You may take, maybe, some ideas from there for finding a proper solution to the things you said:

http://www.braid.com/fusion/help/index.html

Thanks for the link, will take a look.

Thank you soooo much ! Such a great addon.:slight_smile:

1 Like

The creator have plans to still improving the addon?

Yes, I have plans for improvement.
Now I try to fix the problems when working with carve (for surfaces).
I also try to solve the problems with twisting the curve.

I plan to try changing curve for variable radius, and creating Bevel for selected edges.

Already added, the subdivision path. And as there are many parameters for tests.
I conduct many experiments to improve the result.

And I must ask, have you think in made this a modifier? with multiple objects in the same?

I’ll pay for something like this

If I understood correctly, then in order to make the modifier you need to know C, C ++ and understand the sources of blender. I do not understand this.

At last I made it work. Although its options tab is still not working. Whenever I touch something in the tab the tool is crashing (Blender is remaining ok but the tool is crashing). The only thing that permits to do is choosing the bevel lines amount in the modifier tab. The bevelling width, however, remains the same.

Its results -wherever it is working, because it is not working on all areas of the objects- are very nice. It is in need of a lot of work as it seems yet but it has the potential to be a great tool, no doubt. Btw, it is working very well especially with cylindrical shapes.

Below I am putting a sample from my experiments with it:

:

Nice work! But in my case,this addon works pretty well,it hasn’t crash since I installed :stuck_out_tongue:

What is your version of the blender? And can make a screenshot of the error?

Hi Ilya,

I have the same problem.

Standard Cube and Sphere.
Boole Difference.

If I want to change a Parameter the Script crash.

Blender is from 12.06.2017

The error says that there are no intersections. If it’s not difficult. Can you send a .blend file, before the operation Bevel?

Hi Ilya,

If I give the Sphere a Shading Smooth the Plugin crash.
Shading Flat works.

http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=47310

Unfortunately I could not reproduce the error. Can you select the wrong object? An object with a Boolean modifier must be selected (Active).

Ilya I am using the official 2.78 version of Blender. I took a screenshot from what happens after touching any option in ‘bevel after boolean’ tab, I am putting it below. As it is evident the cut object disappears and remains only the cutting object:

https://01.senditcloud.download/i/00071/ut6h0a3dmzwd_t.jpg