[WIP] Getting Back Into BGE (FPS Game)

I’m an old user of BGE (I’m talking like 2.49b), haven’t touched it since logic was removed from the main Blender releases. A couple days ago I thought I’d get back in to it for a fun side-project.

I wanted to see how Geometry Nodes could be used within the game engine, and got some pretty interesting results- I made debug line-trace geometry using nodes. I think there is a lot of potential with Geometry Nodes in UPBGE (animating, randomization, etc), has anyone else been experimenting with this?

I want to start this thread to detail my progress and interesting concepts/techniques/discussion on UPBGE implementation.

So far, pretty simple. I have movement, movement animations, muzzle flash, recoil, line-trace “bullets” (add force to dynamic objects without spawning a ‘bullet’ object), and bullet decals.

2 Likes

Noice, I started on 2.49b back in the day as well.

Did you check out these old games? Here
Yo Frankie was made on 2.49 back in the day :sunglasses:

I learnt back on 2.49 but most of my old old games were made on 2.62 before I started serious projects on 2.70+

I ended up joining UPBGE to sustain my projects in blender due to performance reasons.

Your FPS shooter is looking cool, I like the work so far.

Fred/K.S

I must say geometry nodes is a huge huge step it’s like the perfect and best feature to ever come to UPBGE most game engines can’t even do geo nodes but they do feature geo displacements and a bunch of other optimizations.

The functionality of Geo nodes can extend to almost anything when it comes to abstract and randomisation of a lot of in game processes , you can even use it to optimise game performance and all that or to map design it’s really incredible how far this tech can go.
It’s integrated tech.

Fred/K.S