[WIP] Sverchok, parametric nodes for architects

Hi there , I have made a node that generate a surface from 2 profiles or more and 2 rails titled “Birail2 or more” based on sverchok ver6, (it takes curves as inputs and return Bmesh) hope that you find this useful specially architects who seek in blender a freeform design tool
Link to the node :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1svHxIJFJ5IJ1TvhvKMvlShiDdsm6LGeL/view?usp=sharing

Edit : working with multiple surfaces (birail 3) with this node while modeling a pavillon

12 Likes

Nice.
It’s a beginner question but, how do you make the dark areas with text where you put your node into ?

select node and ctrl + J

2 Likes

thank you :slight_smile:

I try to use the node points_inside_mesh on a mesh that I create from a uv connection from two triangle. So I got a ‘Vector P filed’ with many points and this mesh.

But when I apply the node there is some points who are outside the mesh and not removed by the mask.

Is there a proper way to do that ? I have try to apply “Recalc normals” to the mesh but it didn’t solve this problème.

Until now it work well with box (and mesh create with boolean join boxes) Is there an important rule for creating mesh from faces and/or surface to use “points inside mesh after” ?

Thanks for any advise who can put me on the path. I have try many things and I don’t know what can I do next…

the only rules for points_inside_mesh should be

• manifold
  • faces directed outward
  • no doubles verts / “merge by distance”

i’m not sure we have a convenient way to

• display the normals of a mesh
  • display regions of multiple verts in close proximity (or doubles)
1 Like

Thank’s a lot, I will do some tests.
There is no spécific node to display normals but the doc normals
show us some techniques to create them.

I try to read the wikipedia page “manifold” but not sure about
what type of restriction it bring to this node.

my mental map of what manifold means is : there’s a definite inside and a definite outside.

• a baseball bat : the whole thing has an inside and an outer surface
  • a glass bottle: the object is a glass shell of a space, only the glass is considered “inside”

if points_inside_mesh produces weird results then the verts+faces it’s being fed either have

• holes in topology
  • have coincident verts (apply remove doubles / merge by distance) else you have the illusion of a closed surface
  • all faces must be consistent, that means
    • that two neighbouring faces on a section of surface should never have flipped opposing normals

i was going to add a mode for VDMK3 to display normals with a simple button on the node, but other things are gettin in the way.

2 Likes

Do you have to use sverchok 6 with your birails 2 blnd file? I have never used sverchok. Thanks

Yes, this node works with sverchok v6 blender2.8+

1 Like

as stated ctrl+j to frame the selected node(s).

but there are some useful additions.

• rightclick the created frame (make sure it’s “active”/selected), a menu will appear
    • the first menu line is empty, you can type the desired Label directly into that.
    • you can control color / shrink / textsize from that frame menu too, which is not obvious from the rightlick menu UI.

I downloaded the plugins. Is there documentation on how to install them? Thanks Edit: scenegraph and sceneparsers are the 1st 2 plugins. Are these for sverchok or something else? Thanks Edit: I will post this later in a seperste thread with a picture of all the plugins. I am thinking they might be for freecad now. Sorry

Restart how do I install the plugins on the conda page. One of the plugins is called webview. Do I drop these files in a macros folder and not the mod folder? Thanks

For installing and learning you can find a good doc here code plastic doc

1 Like

Thank you valeureux, they are freecad plugins. How do I install them? Do they go in the macro folder or mod folder?

These files are from the designer folder. Plugins are from this page.
https://github.com/sgrogan/FreeCAD/releases/tag/PY3.7-win

Not sur about it, you can probably have more help on the freecad forum.

2 Likes

Thank for that information.
I have done more experimentations base on that.
It work well with polygons “merge by distante” fix the problem.

I have experiment uv connection with curves.

It almost but for some reason there is few point that go outside.
I have try to remove in a 2nd time using an other volume but it didn’t catch all the outside point.
Outside points are in white and cyan near the top surface on my shootscreen.

I remove the double and draw the normals I don’t see where it go wrong.
Did you know why there is only one face on top ?
I there a way to split this face and be more precise ?

2 Likes

@portnov @nikitron @zeffii : please can you implement other methods for sorting objects in ("objects in " node) like sorting by selection order …Thank you in advance

Maybe adding an option to sort objects in the list manually (move up/down buttons) will be better?

1 Like

Yes, the manual list move/down is a good approach:)
just a suggestion : Can the “undo operator” solve the problem of selection order, I mean compare 2 lists of objects to get each time the " all selected objects -the last selected object" and append the difference between those 2 lists in a 3rd list that will contain object/s sorted with selection order but inverted–>inverse the list and voila the list is sorted correctely