Wireframe Render in Yafray

I rendered a model with wood and metallic tex’s in yafray, and after the render it was only half developed:
http://www.jpeghost.com/imagehost/7407990SaidiShip.jpg

I tried it several times with the same results, even from different angles.

For tabs, it rendered in the internal engine like so:
http://www.jpeghost.com/imagehost/59477404SaidiShip2.jpg

Well, that is just weird, don’t know what is happening. Must be some yafray bug.
Do you get the same effect if you try to render parts of the mesh (separate by material)?

It all renders the same. The whole thing irks me.
:expressionless:

Just a wild guess here:

Are the two halves merged and solded?
Are all the normals re-calculated outside?

I modelled the two halves as one piece, from a cube, originally. The normals were recalculated several times, especially after that first render. I’m still playing around with the settings to find something conclusive, but still nothing.
:frowning:

You know what is the funny thing, I believe that you are the first one to “achieve” a wireframe render in Yafray.

At least your’s is the first one I see.

LOL. :stuck_out_tongue: . I feel like i’ve really accomplished something. Anyhoo, still playing with it and still nothing. If anything it keeps getting weirder the more try to tinker with it:

http://www.jpeghost.com/imagehost/76377029saidaship2.jpg
(Yafray)

vs.

http://www.jpeghost.com/imagehost/87756055saidaship3.jpg
(Blender Internal)

Can you submit a blend file?

okay. one blend file, hold the mayo:

(please try copying link, having host problems…)
http://www.freewebs.com/boyzshmoyz/boat2.zip :-?

It rendered fine for me. Maybe there’s something wrong with your version of yafray. Do you have a pre-release version?

nope. i just downloaded 0.0.7 this week, and i’m using 2.34…though i began modelling the mesh on my other computer which uses 2.31…would that make a difference? that’s the way i usually do it anyways. it worked fine before that.

I woudn’t have thought that would change anything because I’m using 2.34 and yafray 0.0.7. I’m actually using a pre-release version of yafray too now I think about it. The effect you’re seeing is very weird indeed.

Two problems I have with rendering your ship are that yafray says:

Loading image file \unzipped\Textures\wood1.JPG
File \unzipped\Textures\wood1.JPG not found
Cannot open fileCould not load image

[hemilight]: No color set for hemilight, using scene background color instead.
Samples value changed from 128 to 121

I don’t know if either of those affects anything like what you’re seeing. Also, the render that I got to work had lower quality settings because it was taking so long. I’m now rendering it at full quality to see how it turns out. It’s taking ages.

That it cannot find a texture is not really a problem, and the hemilight message is just information, nothing to worry about.
In any case, I have located part of the problem, it is the bump texture of the second material of the ship, for some reason yafray has some problems with that when rendered with the hemilight. For now, turn down the specularity of that material.

Then there also seems to be a shadow calculation problem for you for some reason, I know that in the past there where some differences for some systems with regards to the ‘min_raydist’ value which is hardcoded. What os are you using?
Have you had any of these problems with other scenes as well?

btw, the hemilight low & medium quality should be good enough, unless you do really highres renders and have time to burn.
The same for the AA settings, for this the default is good enough, unless you set it for DoF.

Also try the ‘full’ GI method, it seems to have less problems with the material at least.

Great, now he tells me. I’ve just waited about 3 hours or so for this image to render on best quality with 4 AA passes. %|

Oh well, at least I won’t make that mistake again. I can’t understand why that image takes so long anyway. I reckon I could get a similar quality using Blender’s internal renderer in minutes.

Also, I don’t understand why you would have trouble rendering the image when you’re using the same versions of Blender and yafray as me. It must be an OS thing.

How much Ram do you have BTW? I have heard that yafray won’t finish renders properly if you don’t have enough.

Anyway, here is the render I did with yafray - it’ll look slightly different because of the fact the wood texture couldn’t be found. Hey, geocities hotlinking seems to be working for the first time in ages.

http://www.geocities.com/ajr650/ship.png

I haven’t had these kinds of problems before (and i’m sorry it took 3 hours to render :expressionless: . I turned the quality all the way up before posting it because i wanted to know if it would make a difference…then i forgot to turn it down.)

In any case, I have located part of the problem, it is the bump texture of the second material of the ship, for some reason yafray has some problems with that when rendered with the hemilight. For now, turn down the specularity of that material.

I’ll try to adjust the texture of the wood material…that’s definitely no biggie.

Then there also seems to be a shadow calculation problem for you for some reason, I know that in the past there where some differences for some systems with regards to the ‘min_raydist’ value which is hardcoded. What os are you using?
Have you had any of these problems with other scenes as well?

I have XP and 256 mb RAM…it’s in need of an upgrade, but most tasks can be taken care of eassily just using the VM paging file. I hadn’t had any problems before. :-?

btw, the hemilight low & medium quality should be good enough, unless you do really highres renders and have time to burn.

Up until i started having problems, it was always set to medium.

Also try the ‘full’ GI method, it seems to have less problems with the material at least.

will do. i’m just sorry this project is gonna be overdue. :frowning:

EDIT

I deleted the texture, and voila! Perfect! I forgot to add the sail to the render, so i did and…

BTW, i did bother to reinstall yafray…but it didn’t do anything. :frowning:

EDIT 2!

BOY!! I AM STUPID!! I was ignoring the most obvious variable! THis was the first project in which i experimented with area lamps…i removed them and WHAMMO! Perfecion! (They were on the same layer as the sail, so i didn’t think to hard about it.)

I was actually going to ask if you happened to use arealights in the first renders you showed, but had no time yesterday. There was in fact an error in the arealight code of yafray which could show up as a sort of wireframe, I noticed something llike that in one of my own testrenders. This is now fixed, there will probably be a bugfix release soon.

Glad to know. :wink: Thanx Everyone. THe effect is actually kind of cool when done intentionally…though i’m glad to make it stop. :slight_smile: