"Wisp"

Hello!

I had a lot of fun sculpting this piece and it served as a great test bed to experiment and try out new workflows within Blender, especially with setting up various lighting setups/cameras/sequencer/etc. Blender sculpting tools have also come a long way, and it was pretty awesome being able to do the final touchups within a program that has my final render conditions. Dynatopo worked really well with the snake hook brush and the grab brush with topology flagged allowed me to adjust/balance the composition to my liking across multiple meshes, all in all it felt really good and similar to ZBrush. Staying within one program to do it all is getting closer and closer in my workflow which has been extremely satisfying, love you blender <3!

-Sculpt and polypaint pass in ZBrush
-Rendered with Cycles
-Compositing done in Blender/Photoshop

More images/videos on my Artstation post:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8wYWEQ

33 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you Bart :blush:!! Hope you had a great weekend as well!

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

This project is incredible, great work!

Do you use noise textures on your brushes?

1 Like

Nice. Look epic.

1 Like

what is it, ice cream on a tree?

1 Like

Very interesting project! Fascinating

1 Like

Appreciate that Samuel :slight_smile: !! Not so much noise textures, but irregular shapes/heightmaps, if that makes sense!

I guess technically some can be considered noise, but it’s not like a substance designer cloud/voronoi/etc since I think it adds too much “noise” when I get to a higher mesh resolution, and rather do detail like that with another method. I honestly get a lot of use out of a simple square alpha and playing with the falloff.

For more of the noise details that you may be talking about, I love to use spray brushes, again with a shape type of alpha, and then wiggle the brush following the normal/flow direction I want. This creates a lot of interesting breakup on a mesh.
zbrush_spray_brushes_example_01b_stoberman

I’ve been working on trying to convert my sculpting process from ZBrush more in Blender (which is actually going a lot better now after this project). So far, I’ve found the nudge brush and playing with the mappings to “random” and messing with the stroke method, I can start getting similar brush behavior results to what I showed above.
blender_spray_brushes_example_01b_stoberman

Anyways, hope some of this helps, let me know if you have any other questions! Happy sculpting!

3 Likes

Apologies for deleting reply earlier, trying to consolidate replies into one thread

Appreciate that @alekba :slight_smile: !

@jhon_don that’s honestly a bit of what I was going for haha, like melted ice cream or how tomato plants wilt real bad with extreme heat + add some cotton candy colors (since I’m a sucker for pink/blue combo).

Thank you @Al_Pilote, it was a lot of fun to author, also pretty head scratchy/intriguing as I was sculpting all those tendrils.

Wow, you’re good at this.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer, super helpful!

Also Blender has an Airbrush brush type, though I’m sure you’ve already tried that.

Too kind, and glad to hear it was helpful! That stroke method is definitely handy too for noise, especially with a lower rate setting, it’s a good reminder for myself/others, cheers!

1 Like