Wolf At The Door

How are the prints going?

Did any museum tried to contact you yet?

These new angles look super nice!

1 Like

I think you have a typo, there is a video. BUt i guess you mean moving characters. You have any idea how much work that is on a set of this scale. This one man band already showed GOD like capabilities, modeling, rendering, texturing, rigging, lighting, materializing, sfx… now we want animation as well? Thats to much to ask for :wink:

Can only reiterate what others have said, really AWESOME work.

Shaun

Prints are under way. Just going through colour-proofing stage with the printers at the moment and these will soon be available to order online as posters or high-quality fine art prints - just the large aerial 14K image though.

1 Like

Even with a quadro and 8 GB graphics card, you had severe slowdowns? Especially at the level of cancellations.
I know and it’s boring …

It is interesting for me because I am thinking of changing workstation and I need feedback.
Other than that you work very well.
cordially

1 Like

Incredible piece of work, hands down. Color grading, overall feeling, enviroment composition, perfection in details all is simply special. Althou there is one thing that hit me really hard and that is the fact that you did this all on your own. Such a huge project that had to take insane amout of work is done by one man! Jaw dropping.

By the way everyone who thinks that their pc is too crap to do any serious project should print this project on their wall to keep motivated.

1 Like

I am pushing Blender very hard - almost to the realm of production studio level VFX software which is designed to handle hundreds of thousands of assets and polygon-heavy scenes. But I don’t have the luxury of a team or any budget to do this and so I just had to work with the resources that were available to me. I considered buying a second Quadro card but this was a useful exercise to see how much I could do with just Blender and my limited hardware. The biggest frustration was that once I had hundreds of assets populating my scene, viewport performance in Blender really suffered. At its worst, a single undo operation took several minutes! Although I understand that undo response is being addressed and improved in the forthcoming releases of Blender beyond 2.82! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

One trick here is to use particle systems. For example you could use polygons or vertex to place a figure, then just focus on creating the source for the particles. Later you can set it to display only 1%, or you can try using proxies.
I actually solve really huge scenes (not in Blender) through massive use of particles as source for my objects.
Maybe you can also setup view layer to appear only in rendering. But I guess you did.

1 Like

Yes, I used over 100 separate particle / scatter systems and instancing techniques to lower the demand on memory. Probably the most useful feature of 2.80 was the new collections management - which meant I could turn the viewport and render visibility of collections of assets on and off as I needed them. This really helped a lot.

1 Like

Well memory issues should be solved when using a region render add-on which renders it in parts. Than stitch the image back together.
I’ve written a Photoshop script which can stitch images back to the real size

Unless memory issue is model data wise

It’s so amazing to do this huge thing alone.
We are able to travel back in time thanks to you.
This is very realistic and delicate.
If we can see a video of the soldiers siegeing using a catapult. It’s more than just watching Game of Trons.

2 Likes

“B-L-O-W-N … A-W-A-Y …”

Now, where in the hell did I leave my hat?

1 Like

Really incredible

1 Like

Hi, sure - No, I do not “want animation;” quite the contrary. Taking note of the fact that he hadn’t, in effect, made an actual movie, like Henry V, was a compliment to him, not a criticism. The fact that his scenes & their sequences was so absorbing showed something, indeed, bordering on genius. Altho I am still pretty much newbie-level w/ Blender, I can assure you that I’m very clear as to how much skill, hours, & artistic judgment, added to detailed historical knowledge, must have gone into such such an impressive work. Btw have you any connection to the Rombout Hunt Club, Dutchess County, NY, USA? Cheers.

2 Likes

great work! love it!

1 Like

This is really stunning, and pushing the limits of what I personally thought was possible in 3d.
As a beginner and an scholar, I kindly ask of you, if you could very roughly outline the workflow on something like this. Just the general 3D workflow like: modeling & sculpthing, UV unwraping, Texturing (which software? procedural and image based?), rigging, composition…

Im just wondering what was the order of work or tasks when creating something so big and complex?
How do you make a plan and compartmentalize everything?
How do you keep track of what was done, and what is yet to be completed?

Thank you so much for any answers you provide, I respect this artwork a lot, and would love to inquire more about the creative process that led to its completion.

Thank you for sharing

1 Like

Wonderful job!

2 Likes

I can’t find any words to say. Awwwwwsome!!!

1 Like

The alternative rendering is my favorite one :slight_smile:
Wow man! Awesome job and endurance! I have worked in historical reconstructions and you achieved alone what takes a full team. Everything feels very realistic, right to the fine details and small variations!

2 Likes

There are two outstanding things, first is you artist skill. It first sight I thought looking at an oil painting. The second was the historical accuracy. The wooden walls and low towers. Somehow you knew about true middleage sieges. I‘m not convinced the army had uniforms, but thats just not so important.
In the movie they still have a lot wrong, but at least they know let the knights fight on the ground, thats a huge win. Can‘t really understand film makers, we got Wikipedia know a days and they really have a lot more facts easy available. I had to read tons of books for that.

1 Like