Wooden floor with Brick shader

I wanted to create a floor with a wood texture in the brick shader, but i ran into a problem. The brick shader mixes color 1 and color 2, but i want it to either display color 1 OR color 2 on a tile, how can i achieve this ?

Show your nodes

UPD: Try this one:

Set the two color values in the brick node to black and white and use this setup.
With the bias you then can control their ratio

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, that works fine. Now the next step, can i do this with three materials, means with spec and bump shading ? I guess i have to change the mixNode to a mixShadernode first, but than ?

No what you want is all done in the same shader. The principled shader is capable to do all that.

The node setup is currently conntected to the principal shaders albedo (basecolor) socket, but you can simply copy the whole node setup and feed it with different fitting input pbr texture types to other sockets of the principled shader to get what you want.

Thanks for your help again, of course you are right. I thought to complicated, as usual.

1 Like

This is an alternative, you can add more colours if you want, this is 4 (you can plug images into the colours)

Thanks, that looks great. But i already have problems to properly align my wooden texture to two materials. But i will try how it works for a better understanding of nodes, as i am fairly new to blender.

No worries we all were once.

Basically the colour output of the brick texture gives each brick a value from 0-1 the “greater than” nodes (math node) are asking “is the value of this brick greater than my value?”

The result gives you a black and white mask (yes=1 or no=0) that you can use as a factor to assign the colours.

You could replace the “greater than” nodes with colour ramps set to “constant” and 2 stops (black and white).

The UV mapping of images in the brick texture node cover the whole area (individual bricks are not taken into account.)

I am not sure what your problem is but there are alternative “brick node” setups that give you a uv map per brick.

Lazy dodo’s “Brick tricks” addon gives you a uv map per brick if that helps you.

Thanks for all the additional tips. The problems with the alingement is now solved too. I haven’t realized that the new Blender version now supports mirror mapping, so the seams between the repeating texture are now less visible.