Woody from Toy Story

Building Woody from Toy Story, mostly as practice. I’d like to get it looking exactly like the original, and I’ve gotten it rigged together by now. I’ve yet to set up the facial poses, so he can’t open his mouth just yet.
The mesh right now is 5,023 faces, and I’d like any crits people can give.:yes:

Rest Position:

A quick pose, based on one of my references:

And a wire:

Found this daunting trivia on wikipedia:

Of all of the characters, Woody was the most complex as he required 723 motion controls, including 212 for his face and 58 for his mouth.

Hey, that’s pretty accurate! There is some weird shading above the knee, though.

I like that. Really nice. Is perhaps the head just a bit large? But I’m not sure, I never really studied woody.

@n00bhaxor
Thanks. The shading on the leg is strange because the way the denim texture is mapped right now. I think I’ll go into Photoshop and make it more seamless.

@bigfoot

I actually thought that too, but comparing with reference images, it looks just about right.

i think its just seeing the mouth like that that keeps it from that actual Woody
his hair was lighter, and the yellow shirt looks weird for some reason
good luck with facial rig

The mouth is kind of awkward in those first pictures, but I’m not sure what you mean about the shirt.

Here’s the original Woody:

I don’t see a lot of difference in the shirts.

UPDATE:
I made a start on basic facial rigging, and built a simple “Andy’s Room” set.

okay it looks very good! but his eyes are strange. That’s because one eyes is pointing to his nose. If you fix that it will be much better!

rick:)

^Thanks. I’m pretty sure the eyes are definitely right on track (Track -to object) , I think it’s the dark ambient occlusion that’s stretching the eye in the wrong direction.

A lot more work on the facial rig:

Another pose:

cheeks are big, compared to the referance pic

I know you are getting the rigging down, but can I comment that the original woody looked more baby faced. Your woody’s cheek bones are too defined, the nose pops out a little too much, yours is too tan and does not have that subtle blush and the original woody has a plaid shirt, yours is striped. You are also forgetting the small holster at woody’s side. Other than those things you pretty much got him down.

yes thhere it is, the plaid shirt, or the other set of lines on the shirt

Changed the Shirt texture , added the holster, added that slight blush and also did a basic DOF. Thanks for all the help, guys.

In the render before the most recent one he looks rather drunk…

hahaha, that’s funny! I’m laughing here… haha!:stuck_out_tongue:

Did an animation with him, over in this thread:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=158569

In one of the close up image of woody’s face, he seem a little cross-eyed. I remember somewhere that to remove this common issue is to make the eyes point like 4 degree further out. Just something I noticed.

Wrong thread?:confused: