Workless society, a workless civilization

The looming issues with technology are not partisan issues.

Did you watch the video?

Plenty of cars are made in the USA… By robots.

That sounds wonderful. :smile:
Mind if I join the conversation ?
I can’t read every post , but I’d like to share my thoughts just for fun. -

There can’t be such a thing as no jobs.
Who’s going to program our games ? :stuck_out_tongue: The robots aren’t that creative. They also wouldn’t make good voice actors. But I guess those jobs wouldn’t be considered work anymore ? Just fun ? Only paid at the end ?

We also wouldn’t be like Wall - E , considering a lot of people’s reason for not working out is simply no time. But no work means a lot of time to do all the things we’ve always wanted to do.

I also agree with @BluePrintRandom.

We’d just do different work.

@humanartist I do recommend watching Wall - E. Sounds like something you’re interested in.

Yeah I think that only supports his point.

when you take away all the jobs and don’t replace them you create a sinkhole in the economy.

for people to actually be free of the old economy requires the automation to be working for them.
in heavily blighted areas, they are recovering from firing up urban farms.

people will work, the question is whom will benefit from it,
the owners of Walmart, or the people themselves.

2 Likes

This is an assumption, we simply cannot know if that is true, even if such things have shown promise, it does not mean that we can replace the worlds economy with some as yet to be tested system(s), generally the further we diverge from a simple system the more likely it is to fail.

yeah,

1. earthships work - [ we can make homes that almost nothing to heat / cool ]
  2. vertical gardens work - all the way back to Babylon.
  3. Concentrated solar can turn algae water into clean water and diesel
  4. photbioreactor can turn blackwater into algae water
  5. a biodigester can make methane and blackwater from raw sewage.

most of these systems can be made passive, and not need to be touched, they just work.

now we have power, water, food, what is left is the means of production.

this is where the atomic level 3d printing comes in after cubespawn.

Yes, but this is a two sided coin, there will always be those that are not interested in such, those people can still cause wars, the technology is not the question, its the implementation that is on the table.

It all changes though if you only look at higher-end or more specialized cars. My family once took a tour of the Corvette plant in Kentucky and there were plenty of humans installing parts within the frame and fine tuning everything.

That could start to change though as industrial robots receive technology such as computer vision and other sensors combined with AI, but many of those jobs aren’t in imminent danger yet.

Urban farming is a hobby, not a solution to anything. Just do the math, farming outside of a city is far more efficient and it’s already heavily automated, which makes its products very affordable.

The people already benefit from there being a Wal-Mart, because companies like Wal-Mart drive down the cost of living through economics of scale. If you took all the profits Wal-Mart made in a year and turned them into a discount, it would amount to only 2% cheaper products. Alternatively, you could turn it into 30$ for every US citizen. That’s not a lot of money, really.

Speaking of the owners of Wal-Mart, for only 85$ you can buy a share and become an owner yourself. Anybody with a retirement fund probably owns some Wal-Mart shares already (indirectly). It’s for ordinary people like you and me! You can profit if you want to. Or, you can spend your money on something else. That’s the beauty of it.

Where do people like you get this idea that since people wouldn’t be working they would just suddenly go invent some incredible fusion device? That’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve heard, not to mention that it NEVER, EVER happens that way so put a sock in that “if nobody had to work we would have flying cars and fusion energy or people would be more cerebral” utopian pipe-dream bullcrap.

Most of the people who are working their asses off are doing so BECAUSE they’re not geniuses, most aren’t even cerebral enough to NOT believe everything they hear with their faces constantly in their phones and a constant barrage of lies, they’re just normal people trying to get on with their normal lives.

1 Like

And how many of the people that LOST their jobs turned out a fusion generator, or became philosophers because according to your utopian pipedream theory, they had more time now to be cerebral and had time now to write a symphony.

The only things these people have time to do now is try to FIND ANOTHER JOB!

Did you watch the video…

You clearly did not.

Almost any job is within the scope of computers soon.
(lawyers, doctors, coders, you think you are special, but ai already has done this…)

Delusional as usual. Keep calm and mow the lawn. :wink:

That’s also not to mention that not everyone has the cognitive ability and/or the drive of Einstein, Tesla, Edison, ect… Most people drop out of college math as soon as matrices are involved for instance (and that would likely be far easier to do than build Star-Trek style spaceships).

Then again, you must be new to BPR threads. The ultra-futuristic utopia drum will keep being banged until the desired result is reached :wink:

… as long as it’s banging, since we love to dance :dancing_women::dancer:t4:

This just means money is flowing in other channels.

People have this idea of technology advancing at exponential rates to unimaginable results.

Actually, it’s the other way around. People have imagined possible many things a long time ago that still don’t exist. People in the fifties envisioned flying cars and space stations to exist in the seventies.

In reality, technology progresses quickly and then hits a point of diminishing returns, at which point progress slows to a crawl. Self-driving cars have been in the works for decades and they’re still “not quite there”. Maybe they never will be. Maybe people don’t want them and will rebel against them. Smash enough robot cars and they become uneconomical again.

“Almost any job” was within the scope of some machine that didn’t exist at some point. 98% of people used to be farmers, now it’s down to 2%. Do we have 96% unemployment? Far from it.

You should actually work with some of this stuff called “AI” and you will soon realize that it cannot replace any of these professions. Doctors have been working with what today would be lumped into “AI” for many years. AI is good at scrawling data, it’s not good at dealing with actual humans or with novel situations (i.e. something that hasn’t been learned specifically), which is a big part of the job.

Maybe it’ll lower the need for these professions, I’d say we don’t actually need that many lawyers and programmers as we have to day, it’s inflated by the overhead created by these professions themselves.

For programming in particular, there is no useful AI system that can actually create programs out of customer input. Who is going to verify such a program? Another AI? Infinite regress…

google AutoML is a machine learning algorithm that writes machine learning.

Watson has diagnosed rare illness using only data with a success rate well above people

IBM Ross is used to replace 1000’s of hours or junior lawyers going through prior art etc.

(lawyers start at like 30 an hour)

if you run a cash register - your days may be numbered
if you drive a semitruck - you may soon be replaced.

Skilled coders will not be replaced anytime soon, but I see a autodoc on the horizon.

Neural networks are even generating art now from a description.

I see a future where either we are fixing machines for the rich
or where we are fixing machines for ourselves.

When computer spreadsheet applications came to the market, they turned what originally took many hours into a matter of minutes. Did accountants disappear? Not at all, they’re still earning well.

Computers today are a million times faster now than they were back then, yet somehow they’re taking up more of our human time than ever.

“Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion” - Parkinson’s Law

What I read is that for the immediate term, what might end up happening is that a single driver will be able to control a small fleet of trucks rather than just the one he is in.

They are very big machines, a single bug in the AI program can potentially cause a lot of damage. In fact, people have already been injured or killed by robo-cars, which underscores the current need for a manual override in certain situations.

On that, it’s been said that the hard part is not a robot driving from point A to point B, but defensive driving and sharing the road with oblivious pedestrians and inattentive drivers. If a robot was crossing the intersection on green and someone was about to run the light in the other direction, what does it do?

& render times per frame are steady at ~2h
most likely for next… ever. As it will always take the same amount of energy to boil 1l of milk :wink: … and same amount of time to boil an egg.

Seems you’re also forgetting inertia.