Would like help with a rigging problem if possible

I’m attaching a model I’ve made to a rig but I’ve come across an issue, whenever I attach the rig, the objects move upon attaching, I’ve been told that by applying the position, rotation and scaling of the objects and rig that this is stopped from happening.
I’ve tried that but a new problem occurs, the object is warped as if the rigging is partly done but I can’t do any weight painting.

Is there anyway to fix this?
I’m not sure if I’m doing anything wrong or if by attaching a rig, the object is meant to be centered over the rig. (atm a lot of the rig is positioned slightly further back to hopefully have a better bend when animating the waist)

If anyone can shed some light on this I’d appreciate it

I’m not sure what you mean by attaching the rig to a model or attaching a model to a rig.
My wild guess is the problem is with the modifier stack or vertex groups.
There is no way we can help without looking at your blend file.

Sorry, I meant parenting the meshes (the character is multiple meshes) to the rig.
I can’t seem to upload my blender file however

You can upload it to http://pasteall.org/blend/

Did you parent with automatic weights?

I don’t know why it’s deforming you mesh when parenting, but I noticed the eyeball bones are not in the very center of the eyes. This could cause you problems with moving the eyes. You need to use blender position tools to center each bone.

Yeah I noticed that, Im going to go into it and fix that, I think applying the current poseas rest pose will sort it

Thanks
http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=51673

Yeah I parent with automatic weights and then alter the weight paint by selecting faces

I see that you’ve already keyframed the armature with a walk cycle and your animation starts at frame12. These steps did work for me

• go to frame 0
  • clear rotation, location and scale of the armature in pose mode
  • exit pose mode
  • parent everything with automatic weights

I experienced no deformations and the animation seems to work well. (At frame 39 the arms go back to T-Pose though.)

Thanks for taking a look and a solution!