Wrap around arm technique

Hi! I’m not sure this is the correct place, couldn’t find any better. I wanted to create an fx of a strap around an arm, where it compressed the arm. But i’ve stumbled upon multiple troubles, basically because of dependency cycle between the arm and the strap. The most ellegant way of making the strap follow the arms deformation is by ‘surface deform’ modifier, but how can the strap influence the arm compression if it is already been affected by the arm? It’s important that the straps are what’s driving the arms compression and not something else.
Furthermore to the complexity, I wished to use straps made out of curves, which don’t even have a ‘surface deform’ in the modifier options, nor can they be rigged to follow the rig of the arm.
How can I make this effect properly? Have anyone any ideas please?

Lots of information missing needed to help you.

Yeah it’s hard to figure out what you really want from what you said…
It’s pretty tricky to answer these kind of questions since there are always multiple ways of doing things and we had to understand all the specifics of your project in order to give the proper answer…

Anyway, maybe the strap doesn’t need to really influence the arm, and that’s something that can be done separately using shape keys or lattices…

With geometry nodes you can look at the geometry proximity , set position and blur attribute, which might be the basics ingredient for some kind of custom shrinkwrap …

2 Likes

So, the core ingredient to make an everything-wrapper is to use the information of the wrapped geometry itself. But it can’t interact with the it, since it’s already being influenced (dependency cycle). Make the wrapper object to compress the wrapped and the wrapped drive the wrapper? Making the wrapper be influenced by the same rig than the wrapped is great but surface deform modifying it by the wrapped is a thousand times better, but then, there is the dependency cycle. The question is: how would you go about it? How would you do a wrapper which compresses the wrapped with everything looking as neat as possible and without turning to some lazy solution like making a normal map that sims the compression?