Wrong texture Tiling direction

Hello,

Have three different 3d packages Modo, 3ds Max and Blender.
Modo and 3ds max have the same texture tiling direction, Blender - other.

It’s a Blender bug or I miss something in node editor?

Example Modo/3dsMax:

Example Blender:

Modo and 3dsMax have center point for tiling textures.
Blender have 0.0 coordinate.
With this Blender behavior I have wrong tiling lines after export from Modo/3dsMax to blender…

Okay. I digged a bit and found something. In the Blender UV Editor. Press ‘n’ key to get the toolbar. In the “UV Vertex”, set X 0.0 and Y 0.0.

However. It is probably wrong. Maybe it’s like this by design in blender?

If you mean change this one

to this

it’s a bad idea to modify UV coordinates, because after reexport in Modo/3dsMax you get different UV map.

Yeah. Maybe a setting can be made in Max and Modo to act like Blender instead.

Try this one:

1 Like

Yes, it help, but is this a solution or work around? I think the second.
It something wrong with Mapping node, maybe need to ask developers what they think about this.

There’s nothing wrong with Mapping node. Scale and Tiling for textures are reciprocal values, is all. Mapping node lets you input Scale. Max et al let you input Tiling :slight_smile:

1 Like

I mean that in the blender I need to do some actions to get a result that in Modo/3dsMax is just by default.

Hoho, there are plenty of things that Blender just simply can’t do while others can :slight_smile:

1 Like

and…this only work for that specific example…
In real project it show different texture tiling…

In this last case it have different x and y location (not 0.5 0.5), and how can I get that for 100500 meshes in scene…so it could a bug…

Here is, I caught it.

Fine, let’s try this without the mapping node :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, but it’s insane …

For what purpose then does Mapping node exist? (a rhetorical question)

It exists for efficient transforms. Unless you’d like to create matrix multiplications with vector nodes by hand :smiley:

Why is it insane? You’re effectively writing a shader in a visual language.

I think your desired result can still be achieved with the Mapping node, to have access to rotation as well; just need to take into account the correct order of transformations.

1 Like

Just a point to consider: in Max/Modo the tiling/wrap parameters are scaling the image before the UV, while in Blender you are scaling the UV. Therefore this is the expected result. To get a similar effect in Blender you will inevitably have to do some math.