WW1 Airplane Martinsyde G.100

Hi everyone!

So I made a WW1 french airplane. It’s my first time trying such a complex model with blueprint, but I’m proud of what came out. My main struggle was with the materials, though all of the reference photos were taken at 1917.

Special thanks to HDRiHeaven for making great HDRIs.

Full Resolution

Full Resolution

And a vintage photo, inspired by this photo:

Full Resolution

I hope you liked it, please comment a honest feedback to help me improve!

6 Likes

Pretty good for your first plane! I’m not familiar with this particular aircraft. What type is it?

Since you asked for feedback, here are my thoughts…

• The metal fittings for the wing struts are chunky. They typically are less visible than what you have here.
  • The inter-wing wires are also pretty thick and should have a metal material on them.
  • I don’t know what is going on with the cockpit. Is that a glass bubble? I’ve never seen a WWI cockpit with a canopy like that. It would be quite unusual.
  • It would also be unusual to have the roundels on the upper surface of the lower wings or on the lower surface of the upper wings. It would also be unlikely to have them on the horizontal stabilizers.
  • I don’t see any separate control surfaces (e.g. ailerons, elevators). From the render angles, I’m not sure that the rudder is a separate piece either.

I have a thread on WWI aircraft - some of the details I’ve mentioned are visible there (WWI Aircraft). If you have questions, please ask. I love these aircraft.

2 Likes

Here is a reference photo for the control surfaces: image