X mirroring

Hey all,

So I found the X mirror under mesh and watched a video that shows the components reacting across the X axis in a mirrored fashion. Am I am able to get the same results for marking seams for UVs?

Using a mirror modifier will also duplicate seams for UVs. I dont think there is a feature in blender to have mirrored UVs, but it does sound like something someone would make an addon for, so you could try to look it up.

It’s weird that there’s an option as shown in the picture of the XMirror function. It works in his video, but when I press it, it does not respond the same. Any ideas? I know about the modifier but is that the same as working with symmetry? Sorry, still learning :slight_smile:

Link me the video, i’ve never heard about mirror UVs

Ah alright sorry, i thought you were an intermediate user. Ill give you some information here:

tips, be careful what videos you watch, the like/dislike is often a good indicator. Also the release date, try to stray away from 2 year+ old videos, with some exceptions.

It’s so funny how people say just the opposite, “Oh there’s never a right way to do things”, which is bull, or "be careful of videos. I mean that’s what I keep getting told TO do, even though i had my reservations for this exact reason.
I am newish to Blender, but not to 3d modeling, so I knew there’s a way to turn on symmetry in Maya and other 3d program, Zbrush included, so I figured there’d have to be a way to do it in Blender. His video seemed right to what I’d expect to find. :slight_smile:
thanks for your info.

There are more ways for symmetry, and also just mirroring the seams on a full mesh. The mirror modifier is the most common way to symmetrize in Blender though.

Mirror modifier can also mirror the U and V coordinates, so you get unique space on the UV area on the halves, which isn’t too useful, but the development version also includes offset settings for those.

Yes, people also ask what’s the best way to do X. There’s no way anyone else can say what the best way is, they can only recommend a way when they know the target use, it’s requirements, pipeline stages it has gone and will go through, and the user’s experience with the tools.

There’s no best way, nor right way, nor wrong way, until the user asking gives context and enough information about the workflow for others to give suitable options.

It’s an information source like any other. Most tutorial sources provide tutorials in video format. You still have to know to question the provided information, whatever the source, or whatever the subject matter. You also have to know not to learn steps, and learn workflows instead.

One way to better the odds for good information is to look up well known and recommended tutorial sites/sources from blender.org. They list sites like Blender cloud, cgcookie.com, cgmasters.net. Another is to use multiple tutorial sources and get the same information: if one gives bad instructions, the other one probably corrects it. If both talk about the same subject matter, they might do things differently, which would add to your known options to do that particular task.

Your question in this one is quite easy to answer but never assume that. Don’t crop screenshots, the interface gives out information you don’t have to mention separately when you just leave them in. Also, the images aren’t a troubleshooting aid, they help you write the post.

Always provide an example .blend with future questions. That one is for actual troubleshooting and also gives a quick access for producing visuals when people answer. Your time is best spent preparing an example file, as just describing your issue doesn’t give answers no matter how well you think you do it, collaborative troubleshooting and access to relevant information does.

Well said. I’m just at a point, which you are not aware of, where frustration is at an all time high due to trolling, elitist jerks, etc. I agree, it is good to give files, but that too I have been discouraged of doing from other sites(“Don’t give your files, you idiot” is one such comment").
Sorry about the pic without comment. It was late when I did that LOL. I meant to come back to it and say, “here’s the cat on the center line, but the symmetry x isn’t working.” It seems like it was centered and should be as it came from Zbrush. Maybe alignment got knocked off in the transisition? Not sure.
I do have to disagree about a right way, as even though there are multiple ways to skin a blender cat, there are more efficient ways of doing many things. I’ve often said, let me see how YOU do it and i’ll learn that way and when I’m comfortable with that method I can then learn my own by seeking out other ways that I come across. There are wrong ways of doing things as I’ve seen in my 8 years of 3D experience and 40 plus in the real world :). Cross cutting on a table saw is done one way, if you align the board’s grain incorrectly, then you won’t be cross cutting the wood, that is the incorrect/wrong way then, so there is a wrong and right way.
You don’t use a hammer to drive in a screw, that is the wrong way AND the wrong tool, not to mention pretty inefficient use of tools :).
Anywhoo, thanks for your info, always good to discuss workflows.

The above picture was meant to have an explanation along with it, but I forgot to come back to it(busy :wink:) Anyways, the model/mesh was imported from Zbrush and was modeled along the axis so when I turned on the X mirror, it didn’t react the way I thought it was supposed to, in fact, it didn’t do anything at all. I was trying to use it to select edges on both sides to then “cut” for seams for the UVs.

Don’t know. The cause is not apparent in the image you’ve provided.

Thanks for that video. Wow, LOL, Lots of shortcuts, that’s one thing I’m learning to do in Blender that I had either buttons or a few shortcut keys in Maya. Your video explained a lot. THANKS!