X-Pose Picker Animation tool for Blender 4.X

Thank you and Happy blending!

Albert

Hi Albert.
New user here just purchased the add-on but had some problems which after a litte fiddling got to work to a certain degree but still wonder if some parts really should behave the way they do.

1. Setting the Namespace from within X-picker menu and pressing “Set namespace” resets the name to that of the skeleton. “Rig”… ?

2. In X-picker preferences i have ticked the tickboxes to “Auto-focus on host program on transform”," Auto-cursor focus" both ways

But only “R” and “G” keystrokes works to translate controllers, the spacebar i use to activate a specialized Pie-menu to get extended functionality ( for alignment on certain axis e.t.c ) does not activate, for this to work i need to singleclick inside the Blender workspace and this deselects the controller on the rig… so a little counter-problematic issue.

1. Saving a setup into the xpix format the active tab in x-picker still says “Untitled”.

Hope at least the focus between windows is possible to solve otherwise i can not use X-picker the way i thought

Cheers.

Hello and thank you for your questions!

1. Perhaps your active armature rig is named that way. I need more details to find out what’s going on. Please provide simplified blend file with step by step instruction on how to reproduce your issue.

2. Auto-Focus mouse feature is not the same as key passthrough. Let me know what exactly is your workflow and I will add your keys to keymap configuration with latest update.

For example: insert keyframe L,R,S was added on last feature requested by other user.

3. Each tab has own individual name. You can change it with “Rename Tab…” option. With X-Pose Picker you can append tabs from other projects, copy and paste buttons and scripts between tabs, it’s capable of doing pretty powerful things. Each Tab has its own “Namespace” so you can control different, individual characters or specific character part on each tab.

Best Regards and stay safe!
Albert

Hi Albert.
Thanks for a fast reply.

And thanks for clarifying, i thought the Tab would get the same name as the current “project” to couple it with the current model which would be logic to me. Maybe i don’t see the logic in having to name the project and separately naming the tab.

About the soft hand-over

I problem that has occured when i now understand the X-picker is not a native add-on inside Blender but a linked, external app is that my Wacom Cintiq remote get’s screwed up… It relies on the window focus…tapping with the pro-pen on X-picker all keycommands for Blender stops working and vice versa
(… this would also be true for Unreal where i have a specialized plug-in for animation )

If there would be a linked process in Windows that both applications used i think i could tie this to the Wacom application and fool it to not switch…

1. At current situation the Wacom remote is setup to use Blender specific keys and these are < Spacebar > , < Shift Alt F>, < Shift Alt J > and < Shift Alt Y > (keycommand but without chevrons).

… but i’m not sure this will work with the above mentioned problem… as soon as i touch one or the other app, there needs to be 2 differnt keymaps in the remote

A thought that occured here:

Is X-picker dependent on using the same name in X-picker as the command in Blender? I mean if “Blender insert L,R,F keyframe” needs to be used for the " F" command to work? It would be super flexible if the name could be user edited, not just the keycommand

Thanks in advance
Cheers

1 “Maybe i don’t see the logic in having to name the project and separately naming the tab.”
The logic behind it you can have in single xpix project multiple tabs with separate face controls, body controls, asset controls. Does it make sense now?

2 please contact me PM and specify your requirements for the feature request and we will work for implementation.
Your wacom tablet is not a problem, key passthrough will work perfectly fine as soon as I add it to picker’s keymap.

Best Regards!
Albert

Hello everyone!

First of all I want thank all of you for supporting the X-Pose Picker project! You’re all awesome! With growing community feedback the X-Pose Picker becomes better and better tool for animators on every release. Upcoming updated version will finally introduce long awaited custom SVG buttons support, bugfixes and improvements including user’s feature requests. Thank you for all your suggestions and bug reports. I am doing my best to constantly improve it and make it competitive with leading animation picker software.

Speaking of bugs, unfortunately the latest release is not bug-free. There are few platform related issues in X-Pose Picker. What it means in practice Linux and MacOS users may experience some of the issues listed below with their symptoms in console:

PROBLEM 1
[16766] Error loading Python lib ‘/mnt/code/library/blender/addons/xtrapicker/XtraPicker/libpython3.7m.so.1.0’: dlopen: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.25’ not found (required by /mnt/code/library/blender/addons/xtrapicker/XtraPicker/libpython3.7m.so.1.0)

Cannot start the Picker. This Linux specific problem is already solved and the fix will be deployed with the latest update.

PROBLEM 2
-Linux and MacOS Picker Preferences dialog window does not show up
The problem is already solved and the fix will be deployed with the latest update.

PROBLEM 3
-Linux and MacOS specific issue resulting in error when picker starts.

/bin/sh: /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.81/scripts/addons/xtrapicker/XtraPicker/XtraPicker: Permission denied

This is actually related to Blender’s add-on installer which under Linux and MacOS removes file attributes when installing the add-on to Blender add-on’s location. One of removed file attributes is file execution attribute which prevents the picker from starting.

There’s a workaround for this. In the terminal/ system console use the modified command below which follows the add-on’s binary path
chmod a+x ~/Library/Application\ Support/Blender/2.81/scripts/addons/xtrapicker/XtraPicker/XtraPicker

or simply after the addon installation unzip the zipped add-on files, then copy and paste the XTraPicker binary and replace it in the add-on’s installation folder. This will overwrite the XtraPicker binary file with proper attributes for file execution.

I am working on the solution to make the installation process less annoying under MacOS and Linux.

PROBLEM 4
Auto-focus and auto-cursor issues on Mac and Linux platforms.
This issue like all previous is platform specific and prevents from using Auto-cursor and auto-focus features on Linux and Mac.
This perhaps requires dedicated solution for each Operating System platform separately. I am currently working on elegant solution of this problem which will work straight away without any additional actions taken by the user.

Until the issues are fixed I recommend using Windows version of the add-on for full user experience.

Best Regards and stay safe!
Albert

check out the great introduction to X-Pose Picker by Animationist and learn about the basics!

3 Likes

There’s also a Spanish version!
¡Echa un vistazo a la gran introducción a X-Pose Picker por Animationist y aprende sobre los conceptos básicos!

1 Like

Hi Albert,
I use Bone Layer Manager to visually organize my rig in a 3D Viewport and separate the controllers into three layers: Main, Second, Tweak.
Could you please help me script toggle buttons that could control the visibility of the layers from the picker window.

bpy.context.object.data.layers[0] = False
bpy.context.object.data.layers[0] = True

bpy.context.object.data.layers[1] = True
bpy.context.object.data.layers[1] = False

bpy.context.object.data.layers[2] = True
bpy.context.object.data.layers[2] = False

I would be very grateful!

1 Like

Hello!

let’s use demo_newest.xpix template. For this I’ll duplicate ‘swap characters’ command button and go to ‘Edit command button’. Just change its name and paste following code:

If you want three separate buttons just duplicate ‘swap character button’ three times, name it properly and paste the code as follows:

Main COMMAND BUTTON
bpy.context.object.data.layers[0] = not bpy.context.object.data.layers[0]

Second COMMAND BUTTON
bpy.context.object.data.layers[1] = not bpy.context.object.data.layers[1]

Tweak COMMAND BUTTON
bpy.context.object.data.layers[2] = not bpy.context.object.data.layers[2]

I use demo_newest as a container for useful code snippets that could easily inserted into any picker project.

Just a single line of code for each button! I tested it with Bone Layer Manager 081. Let me know if that works!
Best Regards!
Albert

Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much, Albert :slight_smile:

1 Like

X-Pose Picker 1.8.3 with long awaited by some full SVG custom button shapes support and bunch of bugfixes will be finally deployed in upcoming week!

Best Regards!
Albert

3 Likes

Hello!

This update is really big. It delivers bunch of new, powerful features and it also implements overall improvements.

This update is for Windows and Linux only. Next update will be dedicated for Linux and Mac and will address improving user experience on these platforms.

version 1.8.3

• fix - improved command Button selection
  • fix - user preferences works on Linux and Mac
  • fix - picker doesn’t work on CentOS 7
  • improved compatibility with avastar2 and BlenderKit
  • add-on compatibility fixes
  • added full svg custom button shapes support
  • added x-mirror for svg images
  • added z-order button set to mouse context menu
  • updated User’s Manual

Best Regards!

Albert

https://twitter.com/i/status/1265291007706488832

1 Like

upcoming MacOS and Linux release contains multiple improvements including user experience:

-main menu moved from top bar to the picker window (MacOS)
-improved interface readability
-inherit missing features for windows platform

Best Regards!
Albert

1 Like

Hello everyone!

X-Pose Picker 1.8.3 for Macintosh has been released!
This is first of two releases for Mac addressing user experience improvements.

Best Regards!
Albert

Hello everyone!

This time, one more time another X-Pose Picker 1.8.3 for Macintosh has been released!
This is second of two releases for Mac addressing user experience improvements.

it contains bugfixes and new features addressed only for Mac users.
since this release it works exactly the same as Windows version.

current version contains:
-fix application settings saving issue
-auto-cursor feature added
-auto-focus feature added

Best Regards!
Albert

I saw in your roadmap that you are planning a pose library. I know that blender have one but it lacks some features and the workflow could be better. What are your plans for the pose library and when approximately will be out?

Will it be something like this?

Thanks

1 Like

hello and thank you for your suggestion!
Yes, the roadmap includes pose library like the one presented on your shared video. It is 100% technically possible however it’s a big feature and estimating deployment date is really hard to do at the moment. However development of the feature itself may start later this year and its design is already ongoing.

Best Regards!
Albert

1 Like

Ok, great, thanks for the info.

Hi Albert, I have a “Failed to execute script pyi_rth_multiprocessing” error when running the XtraPicker.exe, do you happen to know what’s the solution for this?
Thanks in advance!