X-Ray Selection Tools

Thanks for adding the circle and lasso select! :metal:

Note regarding the icons - the blue color:
As we are having now the three different tools, using the blue within the icons collides with some of the blender themes, meaning the dashed lines get pretty much invisible. E.g. the standard bright and dark theme. Others like the Pro or Modo ones are fine. Of course, users might even use custom themes as well… Using plain white dashed lines could be an option. This is the standard dark theme. In the toolbar, it is difficult to see, which tool is active atm, but can be spotted within the tool settings.
Thanks!
icons_blue_color

3 Likes

Nice idea
White Icons.zip (7.8 KB)

4 Likes

That was fast - like it! Thanks

• Would it take much effort to get “Select All Edges” and “Select All Faces” in the Lasso Select X-Ray tool for Edit Mesh mode?
  • Can the Object Mode lasso tool work on object overlap/intersection instead of object center or is that an unavoidable limitation?
  • Observation: The entries in the keymap are reversed now. :stuck_out_tongue:

I plan to add it later (at least to try it), but it’s more complicated and would require more computation so first I want to speed up intersection tests using numpy.

Yes, but again it requires more computation. I’ll check if it’s too slow

You mean in the keymap tab in the blender preferences? This is how addons write them by default - from bottom to top. Do you suggest it would be better to write them in reverse order?

1 Like

I guess so. Previously the keymap order matched the built in Box Select where the first entry at the top was for Set and the others came in order with the Shift modifier, Ctrl modifier, and Shift+Ctrl came last in the list but now the order is flipped with Set at the bottom. This is incredibly minor, though, as it doesn’t affect functionality in any way.

Wondering:
The add-on works only in solid shading mode. Is that by design?
[using Blender 2.83.11]

I come from modo and I look for this kind of addon thanks :slight_smile:

Blender version: 2.82a
Addon version: 2.0.4 beta

When I try to disable the addon, there is an error that appears:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "E:\blender\blender_official\2.82\scripts\startup\bl_ui\space_toolsystem_common.py", line 651, in draw
    self.draw_cls(self.layout, context)
  File "E:\blender\blender_official\2.82\scripts\startup\bl_ui\space_toolsystem_common.py", line 621, in draw_cls
    item = item[index]
IndexError: tuple index out of range

Then, when I restart Blender 2.82a, I can see this warning:

Tool 'object_tool.select_box_xray' not found for space 'VIEW_3D'.

I also suspect Box Select X-Ray to cause this error too:
When both Box Select X-Ray and Bsurface are enabled, when I use BSurface:

On a mesh of a character (27,366 faces):

Annotation 2020-04-02 223652

• I just clicked on the Initialize (Add BSurface mesh) button.
  • I drew two lines on the back of the character
  • I clicked on the Add Surface button

Here is the error that I get:

File “E:\blender\blender_official\2.82\scripts\startup\bl_operators\wm.py”, line 1681, in execute
if fn(context, space_type, self.name, as_fallback=self.as_fallback):
File “E:\blender\blender_official\2.82\scripts\startup\bl_ui\space_toolsystem_common.py”, line 958, in activate_by_id
_activate_by_item(context, space_type, item, index, as_fallback=as_fallback)
File “E:\blender\blender_official\2.82\scripts\startup\bl_ui\space_toolsystem_common.py”, line 920, in _activate_by_item
item_fallback, _index = cls._tool_get_active_by_index(context, select_index)
File “E:\blender\blender_official\2.82\scripts\startup\bl_ui\space_toolsystem_common.py”, line 373, in _tool_get_active_by_index
item = item[index]

If Box Select X-Ray is disabled, if I redo these steps with the Bsurface addon, there’s no error.

Same error with Bezier Utilities.
When both Box Select X-Ray and Bezier Utilities 0.9.93 are enabled, when I use Flexi Draw Bezier to create this shape:

I clicked on the Select Box X-Ray icon (on the left toolbar), then I reselected the curve.
And when I pressed TAB, I got this error:

File “E:\blender\blender_official\2.82\scripts\startup\bl_operators\wm.py”, line 1681, in execute
if fn(context, space_type, self.name, as_fallback=self.as_fallback):
File “E:\blender\blender_official\2.82\scripts\startup\bl_ui\space_toolsystem_common.py”, line 958, in activate_by_id
_activate_by_item(context, space_type, item, index, as_fallback=as_fallback)
File “E:\blender\blender_official\2.82\scripts\startup\bl_ui\space_toolsystem_common.py”, line 920, in _activate_by_item
item_fallback, _index = cls._tool_get_active_by_index(context, select_index)
File “E:\blender\blender_official\2.82\scripts\startup\bl_ui\space_toolsystem_common.py”, line 373, in _tool_get_active_by_index
item = item[index]

1 Like

Hi Cirno.
Would it be possible to add the ability to use the xray mode also in material preview and rendered mode? I had to revert to version 1.3.5 to have it working.

Thanks.

Select Box X-Ray 2.0.5 beta.zip (81.7 KB)

• White icons
  • Now works in Material and Rendered modes
  • Draw keymap items in the keymap preferences in more convenient order matching the built in Box Select
  • Fix error upon entering Edit Curve mode with an active addon tool
  • Fix error upon deactivation of the addon with an addon tool active in the toolbar
  • Now works properly after entering edit mode without any selected objects
5 Likes

Blender version: 2.82a
Addon version: 2.0.5

All checkboxes (in preferences) unticked.

In Object mode: Show X-Ray checkbox unticked in the toolbar:

In Edit mode:

While using the Select Box X-Ray tool with the default cube in Edit mode, I got this error :

File "C:\Users\Sebastien\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.82\scripts\addons\space_view3d_select_box_xray\op_box.py", line 128, in invoke
    for ob in sel_obs:
TypeError: 'Object' object is not iterable

1 Like

Select Box X-Ray 2.0.6 beta.zip (81.7 KB)

1 Like

Any chance that you add these lines in the bl_info paragraph?
I think that these buttons can be convenient for your users.

bl_info = {
    "wiki_url": "https://gumroad.com/l/DaLdj",
    "tracker_url: "https://blenderartists.org/t/box-select-x-ray/1212316/1",
}
2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I added them on github and will include in the new version

2 Likes

If you want to add more links (because you have a Gumroad page, this forum thread and Github… so at least 3 interesting/useful links), maybe you could have a look at the SpeedRepoto addon.

It features in its Preferences, many buttons such as: Information, Options, Keymaps, Tutorials, Other Addons by the Author (on gumroad), and Social Links.

This is just an example but imo, it’s a nice way to add extra buttons (to add more Information, Tutorials, Links)…

And thank you very much for creating Box Select X-Ray ! :kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Is this the use case where there is an active_object but no selected_objects? (Blender will enter edit mode for the active object but won’t select it in that case.) Or is there a way to enter edit mode with no active and no selected that I am unaware of?

Yes.

No, you can’t change mode if active object is None

thanks for the addon im now using it

Cirno what have you done ?!!! You have LITERALLY accidentally created the most sought after add-on for Blender because the default is r-e-t-a-r-d-r-d-e-d.

Would you mind doing us a favour and wipe out the stupidness for good ?

Currently these are the shortcut:

• Box Select (B alternatively Shift + Space, B).
  • Circle Select (C alternatively Shift + Space, C).
  • Lasso Select (Shift + Space, 2).

You have B and C and no…you can’t have L for lasso because of retardation…because it would be too easy…because it would actually be consistent.

Would you mind having your plugin end blender’s miserable sorry excuse for a selection consistency crap by making your add-on B, C and L to give us sanity for good ?

What ever L is currently mapped to, nobody gives a damn.

2 Likes