X-ray shader blender 2.8 and above

Hi there, does anyone have a idea how to set up node to create such an effect:
x-ray_mouse

3 Likes

It is definitely possible and relatively easy to pull off. Sorry I don’t have specifics but you will be able to find various approaches to this effect looking for “hologram” shaders.

For the moment I have this using a glass shader and a fresnel for the skin, I don’t know what, but something is off,

Maybe it’s too glossy and it lack some noise ?

It seems lightning make a huge difference

I guess I could achieve good result by adding a texture to the inside bone mesh.

And by lower the resolution of the render to get something messy

It il be better to use a transparent shader or the alpha in principled.
And use a gradient ramp after your fresnel or facing to manage the transition.
No glossy welcome in my opinion.

1 Like

Another 2 static version for Cycles Cuda:

There is something weird on the ear though.

This is really old, but I just tested it and it still works. If it’s too opaque, eliminate the volume shader or reduce its density. Keep in mind you might have to turn up the light paths max bounces if there are lots of layers.

1 Like

This is cool

Seems with eevee you can’t use volumetric “fog” inside a mesh, but I found this:

It is a musgrave texture on the alpha channel, maybe if I can combine it with a subsurface scattering I can get something interesting.

Anyway, I’ll share the x-ray shader when I’ll get something cool

The physically correct way for getting x-ray images would be to use a volume absorption shader and invert the resulting image in the compositor.

But this looks more like what layer weight / fresnel does. Mixing emission with transparency via layer weight gives a similar look:

xray.blend (631.1 KB)

I come up with this result, it is a mixing of all proposal and some tweaking:

here is the file:
xray_Blender_artist_help.blend (852.7 KB)

How’s this?