Xbox 360 Annouces Launch Games... and they Suck!

If they are going to do a remake of FF7 (fisrt I ever played of the series) I hope they’ll stick whit the cartoony look whit the character graphics.

Sweet! All the games I can already play on PC for a crappier, less upgradable system! /me goes out to buy 15 XBOX 360s

For one thing, I doubt your PC is as fast as an XBox360 and I doubt any upgrades you could apply to it to make it that fast would be as little as £280.

Also, they don’t release all the games that are available on the XBox for the PC, nor are they as stable.

Yeah right. You can’t just base the popularity of a unit on it being innovative. How many people own the Nintendo bongo drums? You have to think about the current user base. Nintendo probably has about 1/10th of the console market. People generally don’t like change unless it’s from a vending machine.

The Revolution might not affect Nintendo financially but it certainly won’t be more popular than the other two consoles.

I didnt say Nintendo were going to beat the other 2 consoles just its going to be ground braking in what it does.

I just read, that apparently the backwards compatibility is emulated in x360 via hard drive installable software. So this means, that there is no real compatibility whit old Xbox games, and I actually find it pretty funny. But at least Microsoft kept it’s promise to have “backwards compatibility”, even if extremely selective, as it works only whit 200 or so games.

For one thing, I doubt your PC is as fast as an XBox360 and I doubt any upgrades you could apply to it to make it that fast would be as little as £280.

touche. However, most PC games are scalable, which means I don’t have to upgrade or do very little upgrading to play those games. Whats more, the only major game that has been released for a console that I can’t play on PC is Halo 2. And since Halo 2 really isn’t a terribly revolutionary game (we PCers have HL2, afterall) I’m not bothered in the least.

As if that were enough, by the time 360s are affordable, I’ll be able to buy the hardward to emulate a 360 anyways. Not that I think I’ll need to.

…nor are they as stable.

You’ve got be there. However, I don’t usually have very big issues with games on my PC. I do have minor issues, most of which have already been recognized by the developers and are fixed in a short amount of time.

In short, the system is just a limited PC with fewer games for it. And thats just not exciting.

I just read, that apparently the backwards compatibility is emulated in x360 via hard drive installable software. So this means, that there is no real compatibility whit old Xbox games,

Have you taken a look at the backwards compatible supported games for the 360? The list is rather large…200+, and my gamer brother has been keeping up with the list…and they’ve continued to add more titles to the list. I don’t see how this isn’t “backwards compatibility”.

I’m not sure why all the games won’t be supported. I’m guessing the reason they need the HD for backwards compatibility is b/c the 360 uses an ATI card, and the original XBOX uses an NVIDIA card.

DwarvenFury

Well, as the compatibility is emulated and not native there really isn’t any quarantee for the games to work perfectly, besides as I’ve gathered it, the different region X360’s support different amount of games (and different games) and that is a bit discriminating towards the people who really are going to buy the console.

So actually it would have been better if: MS would have dropped the whole compatibility thing or added it as a native property.

My bro’s a gamer, keeps up on IGN and the like. He’s heard nothing about different region 360s supporting different XBOX games. Like I was saying, the original XBOX used an NVIDIA card, the 360 uses an ATI card. It makes perfect sense to me that you would need software patches for the XBOX games to work on the 360, seeing that they use different GPUs.

DwarvenFury

I’m not an XBOX fan, but I am jealous that it has Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo.

I was so pissed off when Microsoft bought Rareware.

Dwarfenfury: you can check the list yoursefl from the official Xbox site under different regions. Japans list is pretty short: http://www.xbox.com/ja-JP/games/backwardcompatibilitygameslist.htm

So I’d say the whole thing at this point seems pretty ridicilous.

Its the usually Microsoft scheme.

They say Xbox 360 will be backwards compatible!!!

Buyer goes yay.

Microsoft say (in small print) Theres a little snag tho only some of them will work.

Buyer doesnt relise small print.

In the end buyer gets screwed.

It’s because the XBox 360 has a PPC chip whereas the XBox had an X86 chip - the GPUs shouldn’t make much difference because games use a standard library either OpenGL or DirectX, which are largely transparent to hardware. That’s why they played the demos for the 360 on a G5 Mac. They use G5s for developing the games. Some say that’s why Microsoft bought Connectix because they wrote software that near perfectly emulates an X86 CPU.

They wrote Virtual Game Station (VGS) to let you play PSOne games on your PC/Mac. No emulator has since matched it’s capability with the possible exception of PCSX but VGS did this years ago. They also wrote Virtual PC, which lets you emulate Windows under the Mac OS and would therefore allow you to run XBox games on an XBox360. The emulation accuracy is amazing (it even recognises usb devices) so I would be surprised if the 360 didn’t support all xbox games.

I’m not sure if it uses binary translation like the next Mac OS will use to run PPC apps on the X86 (or whatever) chip they will use.

They can always get the developers to re-release any games that aren’t supported. I think they may well do so with games like Doom 3 so they can show off the capability of the game engine, which the XBox probably couldn’t do.

i have seen a trailer of DeadorAlive 4 on the xbox 360 (not on your list btw) and the graphics are AMAZING!!! i wasnt able to stop looking! the only problem was that the characters with long hair had bad collision between their hair and shoulders (really bad) but everything else looked amazing!!! i couldnt beliave it was actually the graphics of the game (and it is) and not only cutscenes! i dont think i have ever seen anything like it ! maybe in ffXII but also in cutscence and not the gameplay itself…! the xbox 360 is one powerfull machine!

No doubt because you can see all the girls’ underwear ;). Here are the trailers for the DOA4:

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/545/545798/vids_1.html

I think the graphics do look good but I think the upgrade to the next generation consoles might be like the upgrade to HD DVD. It’s an improvement but most of the time you won’t appreciate the difference. I’ll reserve judgement until I see the console in action though.

The new consoles will still need good developers to make the hardware worthwhile. Look at Gran Turismo on the PS2 - it was near photoreal at times. It’s the same deal with Blender etc. You give a supercomputer to an inexperienced 3D artist and a good artist with an old PC would be ablt to produce more realistic output faster.

and when rarewares first game on xbox was THE crappiest goully goully ghost game…

Its remarkable how consoles are so cheap, but are 4x less (and up) to the nearest computer that can compete.
If it was possible… to turn your xbox, or ps3, and use it as your home computer…

Oh and 4go10soul, the reason doa4 is not on the list is because it isnt a launch…too bad.

actually, the 360 would make a crappy computer as i remember, the reason the graphics are so good is that its been optimized for playing games.

but the hardware… the cell processor… whatever is under that microsoft box…

(though im sure your right, those pieces of hardware, are sure to be optimized for gaming purposes)

BUT, as you can see, sony and microsoft are expanding theire consoles, not just for gaming, but for many other home entertainments.

I can sense the dawn of a new war against pcs and consoles in the near future, maybe not this nextgen but the next next

I can sense the dawn of a new war against pcs and consoles in the near future, maybe not this nextgen but the next next

Can you? I can’t. The way I see it, consoles are just begining to catch up with PCs. Basically, what you’ll buy from Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony in the future will be just like what you buy from Dell today: A PC with their name on it. Woo freaking hoo. I’ll build my own, thanks.

The playstation 3 is a pc. They have put Linux on it as its O/S so they can claim its a pc, and sell it cheaper.