XSI artists looking jump ship to Blender

Different strokes for different folks…

i love the gizmos and use them loads, I also love the gestures and use them loads…

When I need numerical accuracy I use the key shortcuts… go figure!
BTW all these threads are pointless.

Great work can be done pretty easily in all packages these days… it just happens that Blender is free. Pros use the tools they know untill they have a reason to switch to something else ( be that killer features that can’t be found elsewhere, operating system availability or just the nature of the deliverable needed by the client)

We’re all creatures of habit after all…

No pro will switch from XSI to anything else “just” because autodesk now own it, that’s completely ridiculous!

They’ll wait and see what happens next!

I use temporary selections with wings3d and just move as I mouse over…neither gizmos there…

but in max, yep, gizmos all time. I like those.

in blender mainly g, gxx,(combined with mmb to constrain, etc) etc…or sometimes even gestures

edit: also use quite the absolute coords dialog, is pretty similar to max one…

Good post! I totally agree with every thing you wrote!

I will not rule out XSI completely you are right but I will watch it’s future.

and as for blender if the dev team make those moves on the basic tools as stated above.

I will probability use blender more, modeling , texturing, animations and simulations. :slight_smile:

I’ve used XSI for film and TV. Not everyone on a forum is just a hobbyist.

and i could tell a good artist by what they say in forums because they are not treatend to appear as a novice becuase the have to go to work the next day and model like 10 building the UV layout then paint them all.

So people should not talk about others professionalism becuase that is not professional.

Nuff said!

the wings style cut tool would be very cool, there’s a script (with some issues) right now that works “sort of” similar…

but for it to work really nicely Blender needs to support ngons which will need the “bmesh” changes to the internal data structure… this project is sadly on a backburner for now.

As for the selection I know where you are coming from and that style can be nice. hopefully that sort of thing will be customisable with 2.5 ( at least in the sense that you could write a script for it and set that to a mouse action, if not in a more formal way)

So people should not talk about others professionalism becuase that is not professional.

Nuff said!

I hope that wasn’t directed at my post! not my intention… I just get irked when people sensationalise things or get into my software is better than your software arguments.

Endi seems to think you can’t be a pro without posting large amounts of work in these forums… Oh, the irony!

EDIT : here’s a link where you can get the Edge script I was talking about. It’s called “knife pro” and is about as close to the wings edge tool as you can get right now… sometimes it creates polygons that can’t be “merged” though.

You may like the existing tools more if you change “innervert” to “path” in the “mesh tools” panel in the modeler buttons. It won’t add the extra vertex that maintains a quad mesh when you subdivide something, it’ll just create tris when needed.

Just hit the b key twice and get over it already!

hold down middle mouse button to deselect.

I’m positively surprised by everyone’s cool hands in this thread with such an inflamable topic! :slight_smile:

@xsinick
I may be wrong, but what you wrote made me wonder if you knew about the loopcut tool in blender:
in edit mode, hit CTRL+ R ; with the mouse wheel, you can set the number of parallel cuts; validate once with left click and slide the cut wherever you want it in the current ring (you can’t slide with more than one simultaneous loopcut though). Validate again, and you get clean loopcuts maintaining a quad topology. maybe that’s not what you were asking for, but just in case…

wow. i have been using blender for a couple of months now and yet I did not know that trick. thanks.

Unlrelated to the thread, sorry, but I just wanted to thank you Maurice for the tool tip! A year and a half and I never knew about that mouse scrolling bit for the loop cut… I should go back to the wiki.

Wow, this is that I love in XSI!
Is there a topic for this script?

Knife pro is destroying my uvs :frowning:

there’s a topic for “edge tune” by the same author which is where I found out about it…
here

Fobsta, it is buggy in all sorts of strange ways, luckily non fatal!

I’d love this functionality “officially”, it doesn’t respect the “innervert” "fan “path” setting…
would be great with ngons/bmesh!

Eeek! Glad it’s not fatal :eek:

Fingers crossed this area of Blender will get some attention after 2.5