Yet another nude woman...going for realism (nudity, obviously)

Hey,
could perhaps post a front, a side and one other view in orthograhis camera mode? that would make it easier to tell you how to improve the face :wink:
fine body, keep it on!

Very nice, but I do have a couple of suggestions:

• It’s hard to tell from these images but the forehead looks like its bulging outwards, wheras on most people this area generally slopes back with a fairly constant gradient. Indeed, the whole of the cranium on your model looks a little ‘swollen’. I suspect this is because your reference images have hair; remember that depending on how it’s styled hair adds a lot of volume and you need to adjust for that.
  • The area directly underneath the breasts looks a little odd. It was hard to put my finger on at first but I think it’s because the ribs stop fairly abruptly a short way below them, it makes it look like her ribcage is only in the middle third of her torso.
    -The toes look a little too ‘cuboid’; try smoothing them out a bit.

Other than that, great. Well done, it’s a tricky thing to model.

What, seriously?

relledom: OK, here’s some wires in ortho mode. Incredible how different things look in ortho, eh?
Paul J: good crits, I’ll look at 'em. (Nobody wants cuboid toes!:D)

Attachments

some tips:
I think the air must be a bit higher, the should start at about the level the nosetip. The you should take care of the forehead as Paul J already mentioned. I would also lower the eye brows and make the head on the whole longer.
hope that helps :wink:

Do you mean the ear? And that the earlobe should be level with the nosetip?

By the head being “longer”, do you mean taller or deeper?
Thanks.

1. yes
  2. taller

OK , quick update, lots of tweaking around the eyes and mouth. I think I’m getting there now…please? pretty please?:smiley:

I took some suggestions - the ear-nosetip thing was right on - but I don’t think I want her head to be any thinner/taller until I get some hair going.

By the by, any comments on the topo (see above posts), as far as animatability?

Also: hair is rather irritating in that it renders differently at different distances. The eyebrows look fine in this image, but take a shot from far away, and…Groucho Marx. I know it renders the strands at 1 pixel wide, regardless of where the camera is - but how is this usually dealt with in an animation?

Attachments

which lip is bigger for the female the op or the bottom?I think the top but the bottom lip needs more inthersis

She looks as she i scared by her own eyebrows. I think they are to high above her eyes. Arent the eyesockets designed by nature just to protect them, in your model it looks like you could place another but half diametered eyeball above the actuall eyes. And eyebrows themselfes tends to going slightly down on the outermost after wenting round to the sides as i researched after some exploration and watching people - hopply they don’t thinked “Hey is he x-raying me now?” or something similar.

indeed, the ‘round ball’ of the head is too wide, try to flatten the temple(?) and err… anti-bulge the fore head a bit more.

edit:

about that width, remember the human head on the eye level is about the width of 5 eyes.

and this is a quick sketchy crit-pic, with comments in it, don’t take me too seriously, though, i suppose:

OK, updates, having worked on the eyes, the head shape, and assorted other stuff. And now, eyelashes! Yippee. The head shape is troublesome - I have skull shots I’m working from that give me a flatter top; I think I’ll wait and see when I get hair on the head for the overall head shape. Thanks for the ongoing interest. I think I’m gettting a better product as I use your crits to improve the model.

Attachments

Well, after a few hours playing with hair, I got this. The hair material is ok (not great, needs some work to get to “realistic” and the color is a bit much) but the particles are just not behaving. I’ve got a 750 parent/11 children setting here, and she still looks like she’s had a bad experience with hair transplants. All that mass of hair should be casting shadow, too (I do have shadbuf on, but this didn’t have an effect.)

Anyway, I’m getting diverted - I still need to get into sculpt mode and start working on the mesh and textures. So enough with the hair, on to wrinkles, muscles, and skin color variations. OR…should I rig first? Not usually done that way, but why not? Rigging seems to demand the occasional retopo, whereas texturing isn’t demanding in that way (but changing topo after texturing can be nasty.) Thoughts?

Attachments

Bummer…no input on whether or not to rig prior to texturing. Oh well, I’ll work on whatever keeps my interest - hey, its a hobby.

Anyway, I’ve been working on the eyeball texture. I’m intrigued by how the cornea of a human eye looks like it has some kind of weird depth to it. Look in a mirror, see what I mean (unless you’re not human, then find one and look.) I modified the model and textures and came up with the image below after much fiddling. Is it cool? Do you want to know how I did it? Or is it ho-hum? I’ll post more if there’s interest.

Attachments

there’s a good reason for that depth in the cornea - there is a clear chamber of fluid sitting between the cornea and the iris/pupil. You’ll get a more realistic eye if you model with that in mind.

Noooo! Rig first, then texture.

You’ll probably find that some areas need topological modifications during rigging, because they deform a little strangely, or you’ll find that the model is not yet right, once you see it from another angle or in another pose. At that point you’ll have to change the mesh, and that’s much more difficult if you’ve already textured.

Actually posing can make the figure come alive more and really show you where the mesh is just not quite right. It can also help if you look at the image upside down, or in a mirror. Because if you look at some thing long enough you start to see what’s not really there.

You need a fresh look to see the real thing.

Thankyouthankyou. OK, I’ll rig first, texture (in detail) later. As for the eye, I’ll get back to that. I thought that by adding an alpha-mapped copy of the cornea a bit in front of the main one, I’d fake the depth, but it doesn’t quite do that, eh? Oh well.

All right then, on to rereading about Captain Blender and studying the Blenrig dude.

I was looking at your head and I noticed that you probably don’t have enough edge loops to create various facial expressions. If this character had to pull off a frown of grimace you would wreck the form of your head as you would be forcing the few edge loops you have out of position.

Thanks, tyrant monkey. Here’s a revised wire…enough loops?

Attachments

Well, you are getting a lot of good advice on the face, and trying to implement most of it, so I will comment on other parts.

The muscles in the neck that start under the ear go to the medial end of the clavicle. Yours seem to be attached to the middle of the clavicle.

On the hands, a minor point: the first, third and little fingers usually have a slight bend in toward the second finger, not very much, but in your hands, the bend seems to be in the opposite direction. If you take a look at your hand as you slowly close your fingers into a fist, you’ll notice your fingertips get closer and closer together, a result of that slight inward bend of the outer fingers.

Thanks, Orinoco. I was hoping you’d drop by.

OK, here’s the neck, revised - is this what you meant? - and the hand, with a lot of attention paid to not just the fingers but the topo, as far as the folds that will be demanded of it. (The topo looks a bit messy, but hand folds are, well, messy.) Its a bit hard without the texture to see it properly, IMO.

Attachments