Yet Another Thread about Cycles Materials

After receiving a tip from another user on these boards in relation to my volumetric retroreflective material - I decided to create a non volumetric version (uses the incoming light path instead). Like all retroreflectors - to see the effect, the light source needs to be pretty much in line with the camera and object (either directly behind the camera - or directly in front). I have added a little bit of scatter so the angle isn’t critical - you will get some reflection when the light source is slightly off axis.

For neutral colours like white/gray - keep the RGB values below 1. However to simulate flourescent green - you need to boost the RGB values. In the green example below I used RGB values of 0.75, 2.0, 0. This gives the vibrant, almost emissive effect you get from fluorescent colours. To get the pattern on the tap you’ll need a patterned seamless texture. I used a hex pattern like you get on some commercial reflective tapes - but you can of course use the material without the texture to simulate plain, unpatterned tape.

Node setup