Yo Frankie! Too intensive for Crystal Space?

http://www.yofrankie.org/?p=336

I see tons of comments saying it takes a long time to start and it runs super slow. Was the project too much for Crystal Space?

I await to see the reactions for the BGE version, as for the CS version that engine could be the one that loses out if they don’t get things sped up good.

I actually found that it plays decently on my computer (Nvidia 8800 gt). But there are a few weird instances where the screen goes blank except for the hud.

How many already have the game?

the ones that already downloaded it:
http://www.yofrankie.org/?p=336

That’s the Crystal Space version for testing.

The Blender Game Engine version is available via SVN (downloading our production tree), or just wait till the DVD is released (second half September). Once it is released and the people that bought the DVD have it in their hands, we will release the files in a nice way (a double-clickeable game!, and blend files, nicer than downloading everything via svn).

No offence but don’t you think with that kind of a card it should run like someone with a bad case of diarrhea? The graphics may be cool, but it’s not like it’s the biggest polypusher around. Is it?

Nvidia 8800 gt ? (I worked in videogames) man that one is quite powerful . Casual, shareware and indy developers are certainly not -majorly- poiting to something even near as powerful as that (as that target user never has the very latest hyped card )… And I thought yo Frankie wasn’t a hardcore game, HL2 or Crysis inspired. The 8800gt can push a lot… If the game wouldnt move with that, that be to be worried… But i guess is not the case, or some detail is being missed…

I actually found that it plays decently on my computer (Nvidia 8800 gt). But there are a few weird instances where the screen goes blank except for the hud.

anyway, that rarely would be for polygon pushing probs… but some drivers, or uncompatibilty, problems, other glitches, etc. Not power ,really.

Don’t forget that the rest of the computer needs to be considered. You can put an awesome graphics card in a not so awesome system and get a totally different experience. One critical issue would be if the speed of the graphics card slot (4x, 8x, 16x, etc.) is less than the max speed of the card itself. The card will still be usable but with much less performance.

So, it would help to know the rest of the system’s specs (e.g. CPU, speed/type of video card slot, RAM, cache, screen resolution used when running the game, etc.) before determining how well the game really runs.

Unless the game is using something serious, it should be going smoothly; configurations aside.

Something must be going on elsewhere

. but some drivers, or uncompatibilty, problems, other glitches, etc. Not power ,really.

Ah, sorry about that.

CPU: AMD 64 2.4 ghz (Dual core)
RAM: 2 gigs
Graphics card slot: pcie (I think it is x16, but I’m not 100% sure)
Screen res: Not 100% sure on this either, but I think it was playing at around 800x600
Also, was using the hq version.

Thought those versions were only for intel systems…

Anyone tried the bge version? what hardware and speeds etc?
JF

Yeah, I tried it in the blender editor at close to 1280x1024 resolution, and it runs beautifully. Hats off to the apricot team.

Nice, I hope that that bad performance in cs is something that is easily worked out.
jf