YoFrankie Level Design Competition (QA+sign up)

a thread where you post concepts and work in progress models while you are working on them

Hi guys, I’m ready to make a new level. Hope, one month is not to short to make something good.

Regards

Stickied… However if something is sticked does it mean nobody reads it anymore?

Well, I do, if its a thread I’m interested in.

I would love to give it a shot, however I’m a coder not a designer.

Yeh ive always wondered about that…

Killer ive seen you design games before. Youve always got a few in the BGE section of the forum. And anyway, you dont exactly have to do any major desiging if you dont want to, watch this video to see how easy it is - http://www.yofrankie.org/tutorial-level-template/

Some of these things could be done without too much work.

To have a level where frankie has the light just means adding a light into frankie.blend and adding a group that contains a night time light and excluding the shadow casting lamp from that group (this group needs to contain frankies logic, armature and mesh ofcourse).

This lamp could then have its own logic, it could check for frankies ‘boost’ property, which is recharged when he catches butterflies.

Firefly would then be butterflies with a different mesh.

Further, what your suggesting could end up being quite some work, though if your up to it, it would be awesome too.
Id recommend you plan your level only to have frankie in a dark place with a light and go from there, Im not even sure how blender goes changing lamp color over time for eg… you’ll need to test that and you may find bugs (missing features in the BGE). - or find workarounds- like using multiple lights (3-4) and removing them to fade.

I’d prefer people don’t loose too much time fighting bugs in the engine and just make levels with features that we know work. since you don’t have the developer support we had for apricot.

Answering this quiestion I was asked over email…

All the things you suggest can be done with level logic, To make your own button, Add a collision sensor checking for the property “player” So frankie activates it by touching it.

Having a key/lock system is already possible - You can define your own items just as bones and acorns are defined, Frankies logic doesn’t know about an acorn for instance. So you could add your own key object into a level, and frankie can then throw it at a door.
You then need a collision check on the door that looks for a property on the key.
Having frankie walk into the door and check for his key is also possible but involves a small python script to check frankies inventory. If wants to go ahead with this I can give some help…

though a friend who is a game designed says relying on keys/locks makes for uninteresting gameplay
to progress through the levels isnt very good game design (I tend to agree), Your much better to be creative and use a puzzel or some fun gameplay to advance through the level.

PS- this is fairly advanced functionality and not something Id expect people to be adding.

Youtube tutorials are wonderful things.

My level isnt going to be an open this door, go to the next door, then open it type of level. Its a crazymaze with unexpected gravity changes, invisible walls and buttons, walls that you can go through, and moving walls and platfroms. So It will be a fun puzzle thats you will never play the same way twice.

Welcome to the community Supertux! Already looking forward to playing that… :slight_smile:

I like your enthusiams :). Good luck with your level!

I’m totally noob in game design but that’s an interesting challenge.
Would it be possible to make a fake 2D level à la Mario Bros, i.e. use props of YoFrankie but with a fixed camera and characters that would move on the X axis?

Im a big fan of side scrollers too, but this isnt an option for modding yoFrankie because of the camera switching as you mention, but mainly the controlles would not work as youd expect with a side scroller. (absolute vs relarive direction)

Its ofcourse possible to have an alternative camera mode and different player logic for side a scroller level, but this would become a new game IMHO.

It says the contest starts today, where can we give our level?

hey there flyvin, We’ll use download.blender.org’s anonymous ftp - added upload info to the yofrankie.org page.

Awww, I really want to make a level but I’m really caught up in Tower Siege 2 =[ I have great fun modding the game though! Although knowing me I can’t just add existing assets, I’m a hardcore coder who would tweak and recode half the game, lol. Maybe I’ll enter. Maybe I’ll make a maze based on a sphere, like walking on the moon, that way you can’t see infront of you, you only see 2 feet infront of you. That would be very frustrating to a player cause you start right next to the exit and can’t find a damn path cause it’s a rotating ball, lol. Or I could make a old Zelda Ocarina styled checkerboard where the roof shaped like a random checkerboard fell and you had to be on certain tiles.

Anyone feel free to make those levels, that would be awesome.

hello im new in this community, and im planning to join the contest:) … its my first time to try out my skills in a contest like this one, so ill try my very best…im no pro or anything just your fellow blender artist:yes: i like frankie very much and im here to support it 100%:smiley:

hey marwin, welcome to BA and good luck. :slight_smile:

Hi there, had a go at making a bridge that falls apart as you run over it…
This was more trouble then I expected, since frankie hugs the ground he can end up doing weired stuff on the brisge sometimes (glitches :/) though it does seem to work most of the time now.

If anyone uses this Ill probably spend some more time fixing the glitches.
having large blocks that fall down would be a lot easier.

http://www.graphicall.org/ftp/ideasman42/screen_bridge.png

Copy this into your /levels dir for testing.

orinoco56 fixed library paths with mnt/test

very interested to make a level.
the file falling-blocks require library items!
Error can’t find lib mnt/test/…
i tried to correct in outliner but does not work. in my props directory the names of items are different