YoFrankie Level Design Competition (QA+sign up)

ah so I have to download the level and all the things to go with it… I see… oh and what is the max player count? and does this have online capabilities (so it doesn’t have to split the screen)?

From what I understand - 2 player split screen is the maximum. It’s not really built as a 32 player FPS sort of game though… so making a pretty/interesting single player level would probably be the focus of most entrants I would imagine.

When creating new props like a bridge or plataform, do I need to make it on a new file or could I insert that on the files already exist?

For now Id prefer you make them in a new file in the props dir, so I can merge multiple peoples props in at the end. If you add to existing files it could work if you keep a list the groups you created.

OK, I’ve got “level 1 home” and when I open it up it works fine, I mean I can view it… but a text box pops up and says:

“Alert; error in console”

could this be becasue I don’t have any of the supporting files built in? or what?

What does the error say? Did you watch the video on how to add the group of assets? All you need should be in there. You can play the level in the game to get ideas. Just start the game up as usual.

Hi Campbell, there is the catapult we are developing:
http://www.ubuntu-pics.de/thumb/8759/screenshot_05_nBQB9W.png

We need to do:

set an invisible plane (already with an action) to carry Frankie, Momo or Sheep; With the carry enable, the action will open a lot of possibilities …

Thanks man!

Hey MangoJambo, nice catapult!

I was thinking of the classic mine cart situation, but you could use it for anything in the level that takes the player along for a ride. (surfboard, magic carpet etc), If you wanted to be tricky you could even give a magic carpet keyboard sensors that only operate while frankie is on it :slight_smile:

Heres 2 examples in 1 blend file.
The first example is just a plane that carries frankie for a short time on touching him.
There are 3 states…

1. carry frankie on touching 2) play the movement then release frankie, 3) pause a bit before returning back to 1)

The second example is a cart, this is a bit more complicated because it has to run back an fourth, so the states are setup the same as above, but it needs another 3 to run in the reverse direction.

I tested and Frankie can even carry Momo, then jump in the cart to cross the gap :slight_smile:

http://www.graphicall.org/ftp/ideasman42/cart_screen.png

Copy this into yo frankie path ./levels/

EDIT - Having an object carry frankie is only needed for situations where he’d otherwise fall off or where you want to lock his position for some situation (Maybe a cut scene where he cant move)

I kinda lost my interest on making my entry :(.
I would give what I got done for someone,
if anyone is interested.

in the level there is used some of the assets
that were available and bit of new stuff, where
I left off is modified tunnel/cave which I made
longer and was planning adding some bats
which Frankie would have to avoid touching,
these would have flown from top of cave and then
returned to the original position in a loop.

Thanks Campbell!! That is what I need!! :slight_smile:

I will be back with more doubts soon has possible! :wink:

thanks ideasman42 for the fixed falling-blocks file

me again!! :slight_smile:

How can I activate and action for example with:

1. Frankie hits a button to do something else, like an action…
  2. Or the same but with Ramiro hitting!
  3. Throwing something in the button!
  4. Throwing only the sheep, or only the rat to activate a sensor!

Thanks …

hey mangojambo,
activate an action you mean press a say some trigger? or an armature animation action?

Ill try answer both questions :slight_smile:

• The most simple way for frankie to trigger something is adding a “predator” collision sensor to some object to be activated when he touches it.
  • Throwing something in the button? - you can use acorns or bones at a button, your collision sensor must check for the “projectile” property.
  • Sheep and rats have “projectile” property also, but to check specific types their “type” property will have a string value of either “sheep”/“rat”/“ram”, must use a python script to check this.

To add actions to frankie see frankie’s logic object, state 16, controller frank_act_all, script frank_action_all.

PS- all frankie logic always applies to momo also.

Hey,

How is the Normalmap (water in /probs/liquid.blend) animated?

Can’t find an IPO, script, shader, animation …

I have appended the material to one of my own rivers. (No linked Lib, I will only use the water material in my own Game). After appending, the animation works like expected. (I have two UVs on my river, can see some bump and the environment).

If I’ll change the Normalmap in my water material, the animation is gone. (tried it with a copy of the original Normalmap)

The strange thing is, that there is a “2” behind the Image, that mean some other “?” is using the image block. But if I take a look into the Oops Schematic there is only one dependency.

I’m very confused. :spin:

EDIT, ok, I have found the Video:

Hi, Mangojambo requested a glide booster example, here it is.
The logic is quite minimal - a single object, sensor and a controller.

The blend file contains a group “frank_glide_boost”, this can be used to push frankie into the air while he’s gliding, it also adjusts some of frankies own properties used for slowing down gliding over time.

The animated billboard works in glsl and texface mode but it really a placeholder, really need a vertically tiling smoke texture for this.

wow …thanks Campbell!! I will give a try here.

Hiho.
I don’t understand how specific tipe value “ram” in property “projectely” for detect colision of Ramiro in something.
I tried such, but it’s wrong.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2650/propertyramll5.th.png

Someone know how can i do?

I don’t understand how to specify the type “ram” on the property “projectely” to detect Ramiro’s colision in something.
I tried this, but it’s wrong.
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2650/propertyramll5.th.png
does anybody know what I can do?

We don’t understand how to specify the type “ram” on the property “projectely” to detect Ramiro’s collision in something. We tried this, but didn’t work:
http://www.ubuntu-pics.de/thumb/9942/screenshot_01_5gjXz1.png
We tried other things, but no success…

General collision:
http://www.ubuntu-pics.de/thumb/9943/screenshot_01_RIlI06.png
and predator collision are working.

Cheers
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Add a collision sensor that checks for ‘type’ property (call the sensor ‘type_hit’), attach this to a python controller.
You might not need this to run an actuator but in the example it turns an actuator on.

def main(): 
    cont = GameLogic.getCurrentController() 
    own = cont.getOwner() 

sens = cont.getSensor('type_hit') 

if sens.isPositive():
        for ob in sens.getHitObjectList(): 
            if ob.type == 'ram': 

actu = cont.getActuator('myActuator') 
                GameLogic.addActiveActuator(actu, True) 

main()