Your default startup settings/template?

Looking for ideas on a template for a default startup file.

Gonna make a “right-click” Vb-script to create my folder structure along with project name and copy a “default” blender file to it.

When ever i start blender there are a few things i change; units, save render location and type. So now im looking for any other things which might be helpful other people do.

I change the render from CPU to GPU as well as switch to cycles (don’t remember if that is default or not)

2 Likes

Ahh… Yes, thanks for mentioning that.

Few things, set User Orthographic as default, disable Auto Perspective and enable Select All Toggles.

I also have the camera and light deleted in startup scene.

1 Like

Turn on adaptive sampling
Turn down number of cycles viewport samples (keeps my laptop a lot cooler)
Vignette gradient viewport background
Compositor node setup with the denoiser enabled, but which will still work when switching to eevee
Shader tab with a vertical split and only the viewport and the nodes

1 Like

Add all your favorite node set-ups as groups.

Set up all your workspace meus the way you like them to be when you open them. I put all my menus for each workspace at the bottom because it’s easier to look down than up. I also set up the right-hand tool menus and the order of the properties windows to what I like with the most commonly used ones at the top.

I also turn on denoising by default.

1 Like

Thanks everyone.

@blenderrocket Can you post a screen or describe how you do that. When in Cycles ill enable “Denoising Data” in the Layer Properties and set up my nodes everything is fine, but when i change over to Eevee the node connections are lost. If i use the Normal pass in Eevee and then change to Cycles it will still use the Normal pass and not the Denosing Normal which i previously set up. How do you change back and forth and keep the connections you want ?

Would have never thought to move them for that reason :wink:

@blenderrocket Can you post a screen or describe how you do that. When in Cycles ill enable “Denoising Data” in the Layer Properties and set up my nodes everything is fine, but when i change over to Eevee the node connections are lost. If i use the Normal pass in Eevee and then change to Cycles it will still use the Normal pass and not the Denosing Normal which i previously set up. How do you change back and forth and keep the connections you want ?

Here you go (remember to enable the denoising data pass once):

Thanks a bunch, but how do you handle switching to Eevee ? When ever i try I loose all my denoise normal pass connections from cycles.

If you switch back to cycles the connections will magically re-appear.

Ran with your idea (thanks) and added a little to it, tried to get as much info passed as possible.

Details incase someone else wants to try it out…