Zenit ET

Zenit ET is a 35mm film SLR camera manufactured by Vileiskiy Zavod Zenit, (Vileiskiy Plant Zenit), near Minsk, former USSR, produced between 1982-1993 with a quantity 3,000,000. Зенит = Zenit, which means Zenith that is the point in the sky that appears directly above the observer in astronomy or may mean the highest point (source: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Zenit_ET)

I’ve always liked the look of this camera so I’ve finally decided to model it. Having a real object was perfect for observing all the details and dimensions as close as I can. It was a great opportunity to practice my modeling skills using subdivision surface and texturing with Substance Painter.

Model is divided into two sections for better quality textures. I’ve used two 4k texture sets, one for camera body and one for lense. They have around 126 px/cm and 150 px/cm texel density respectively. I’ve also decided to combine Metalness and Roughness into one texture to have easier time rendering the scene. All the visible text and symbols were made using Inkscape.

Scene to present the object was the same one I’ve used for some of my previous models. Close ups were rendered with the use of LookDev studio 3d model created by Albin Merle (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zDAQWZ).

Assets used for the scene:
Wooden chest (used as a table) - PolyHaven
Pencil - PolyHaven
Magazines - PolyHaven
Plants - BlenderKit (by fergini, rexhanscreations)
Cup of coffee - BlenderKit (by Soheil Mahmoudi)
Newspapers - Sketchfab (by karlwirbelwind [CC0] Newspaper Stack - Ready to Unity HDRP - Download Free 3D model by karlwirbelwind [c4311a0] - Sketchfab)

60 Likes

My dad had Zenit-E. You sure took pains to model it but the lens looks like metal, not glass.

1 Like

The detail is amazing. And I love the very subtle smudges.

1 Like

Thanks. Have to agree about the lense. I used the result from Substance because I just didn’t want to spend more time on it at the time of rendering (kinda pain on slow pc) so it’s a pseudo plastic mat I guess. I’ve changed it to glass and it indeed does look better. I’ve updated the scene render, the closeup will follow after sheepit does its thing :slight_smile:

@LMalachi Thank you! Appreciate it:)

1 Like

This is a raw render with the use of thin film interference shader by Sir Code. I did a few test renders after some tweaking and got a quite nice looking result.

It’s also nice to put a name to this rainbow’y effect I’ve often seen but never bothered to research it. And it’s all thank to comment I got on this project on Artstation.

7 Likes

Good work.

My first serious camera was a Zenit E - 1971

1 Like

This is super cool man. I honestly havent been working on my shaders in ages due to real life stuff, but its cool to see people using them anyways

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you Bart, appreciate it!

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you! :+1:

1 Like

Just spotted this on the featured row and clicked through because I recognised it immediately. Well done.

Use of my school’s Zenit-E was my introduction to real photography {1980). They were basic but did the job although the front mounted light metre was a bit hit and miss. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Epic … lovely … wow !

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Presenting the “Behind the Scenes” article for this spectacular artwork!

Feel free to explore the article written by the artist themself. It takes you through the detailed process of creating the artwork and offers valuable insights into realistic prop-designing in Blender.

Regards,
Alina Khan
Editor at Blender Nation | LinkedIn

1 Like

This was my first camera!

Amazing model.

1 Like

The details is amazing :heart_eyes:

1 Like