Zoom issues when switching from ortho to perspective view

Hey

I have no idea if im in the right section of the board to ask this question, but ill just try :slight_smile:

I’m having a realy hard time navigation blenders viewport. I really cant describe my problem though, so I will just give a step by step “walkthrough” an tell what bugs me…

1. Open blender and reload factory settings
  2. File => User preferences => Interface-tab => check: rotate around selection and auto perspective
  3. Press num1, select the default cube and switch to edit mode
  4. Select the upper right verticy and zoom in /really/ close
  5. Tilt the viewport in any direction using the mousewheel. First problem: The view seems to rotate around the the verticy as specified in the user preference, but due to the large zoom the selected vertex doesnt even show up in the viewport and the rotation itself is way to fast.
  6. When you have turned your view around for a bit, press num3 to switch so sideview, and tell me what you are looking at. could you instantly tell “where” you are?

Its the same the other way around. when zooming around a lot, combined with frequent switches between orthogonal and perspective view it sometimes becomes /impossible/ to zoom in on something, because the camera moves ridiculously slow (in perspective mode). That can (afair) only be solved by switching back to orthographic, repositioning the view in all viewmodes (top, down, right), and then zooming back in perspective…

This problem may be personal preference, but from time to time this really gets confusing. I tend to zoom in and out quite a lot from the models im working on, and not knowing where I am when switching the view doesnt help with that…

I really cant say if I’m just using blender the wrong way or if its a bug of some sort…
Hope someone can give me a heads up on this
thx in advance :slight_smile:

You do have “Auto Depth” activated, right? It does make the viewport more responsive.

Next time the zoom responds slow, hit the <numpad><period> key to zoom to the selected item. That solves it.

ps I would turn off “auto perspective” - I think switching between perspective and orthographic mode manually gives one more control over the modeling process. But hey, that’s a personal observation I made (I used to work in auto perspective mode till I noticed some of the drawbacks of the perspective while modeling).

2 Likes

I was having a similar problem to dasKraftwerk and as Herbert123 wrote, turning on “Auto Depth” in the User preferences fixed the “zoom issues” when switching from orthographic to perspective views.