Zoom magnification for Unwrapping.

I’m not sure if this is the right forum for this question or not.

Also it may be a bit difficult to explain what I am looking for.

I have been using the UV unwrap “Project from view” with some success.
I noticed that the magnification level determines how large the unwrapped vertices are in the “UV/Image editor” window.
Is there a way to know or set the magnification level?
I have been looking everywhere for something that tells me how to do this and can’t find it.
Maybe it does not exist?
It would make it easier to keep everything the same size by the numbers instead of trying to eyeball the UV map to the texture map.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but are you unwrapping while in Ortho or Persp mode?

I would definitely say that project from view is not the way to go with a complex model like this.

Not sure exactly what you mean, but are you unwrapping while in Ortho or Persp mode?

Orthographic, I think.
If I toggle single view, and then unwrap using “Project from view” It lays out the faces in the “UV/Image editor” window.
It sizes the Faces according to what your magnification is in the 3D window.
See pics:

jblenderI would definitely say that project from view is not the way to go with a complex model like this.

So far, it has given me the best results.
I am open to suggestions:)

If I toggle single view, and then unwrap using “Project from view” It lays out the faces in the “UV/Image editor” window.
It sizes the Faces according to what your magnification is in the 3D window.
Not sure what you’re problem is. You can scale/rotate/move the uv layout just like the 3d view to match the picture you have. The UV unwrap has no ‘real’ size resolution. The UV space is a 0-1 square, the resolution only comes into the picture when you create an image to map the uvs onto.

I don’t think I am explaining it correctly.
If you look at the pictures, in the first one I am zoomed away from the model and the UV coordinates it produces is small.
In the second image the model is magnified and when I unwrap it the UV coordinates the coordinates are much larger.

When I unwrap various parts, how do I make them all unwrap at the same size so I don’t have to adjust the scale in the UV/Image editor window? How do I know what the magnification in the model view is?

Divide the 3d view, and leave one of it for just unwraping, never touch the zoom in it, mean while do whatever you want on the other one.

This is the only way I can think it would work also.

Ok, cool, so will that work when you need to get another part unwrapped again from view from a different view?
I don’t think so . Richard already told you what happens and why, but to be clear - you need to unwrap your mesh parts, place them in your proper position and scale to the image you are using as a texture, and if necessary, pin the parts you don’t want to change.

As long as you stay on the isometric mode and don’t use anything that changes the zoom, Project from View should respect the scale (obviously, only on the axes orthogonal to the view direction). You shouldn’t be scaling the image, keep it at the best quality you have access to; if the parts don’t fit on the image, scale the parts (scale them all at once if you want everything to remain proportional). And if you don’t want to change something, just don’t leave it selected.

Actually, i tried it right now, and it seems, that if you mark “Ortographic” on the thingy on the bottom of the Tools bar (hit T to toggle it on the 3D View), when using Project From View, it will completely ignore zoom.

I have to say it : you aren’t scaling the image, you are scaling the uvs to the image.

For a project like this, I would take that image into Gimp or something and get rid of the shadows with the clone brush or something - at least to get rid of shadows that shouldn’t be there because you need geo for real shadow, not ones in your texture.

You shouldn’t be scaling the image anyway.

Found it!
After an exhaustive search, I found that there is a way to always have the same magnification for unwrapping purposes in the edit mode!
[shift] plus [num pad enter] gives you a 1:1 magnification!
Wow, that was driving me crazy.
I appreciate all the replies guys.

Does anybody know why Blender does not have a magnification level like other programs?

Well, I spoke too soon…
It doesn’t work.
No idea why.
Back to the drawing board…

Map your texture to the background of your 3d view through your camera from the projection you will make - make sure the dimensions are the same as the texture image. Align your camera to the view, use the Lock Camera to View in the N Panel to get the correct zoom, and use Project from View then, and it should match up 1 for 1 in the UV Image Editor, since you are referencing the same image and dimensions.

THANKS!
I’m not sure I understand this:

Craig JonesMap your texture to the background of your 3d view through your camera from the projection you will make - make sure the dimensions are the same as the texture image.

But, locking the camera view seems to give me the same size dimensions when I unwrap!
Now I can reduce everything in the UV editor by “X” amount and everything will be uniform.

Camera view, add background image, choose your texture. With the render resolution of the camera matching the image texture, you have 1 to 1 matching for unwrap. I use a hack of this for my mask painting.

I see what you are trying to do here and I’m glad it works for you but in general this is not the greatest method because of the bleding necessary at the edges of UV borders. You can see some of that on the tail aileron and elevators. For this sort of precision you should be exporting the UV and fitting the images in an image processing program IMHO.