Pre-Release: Physical Camera 0.6.1 Addon

question I am shooting footage for an invasion hoax short and will be shooting most of the footage at
1/192 45deg shutter or 1/96 90deg shutter for the more intense parts and 1/48 180deg shutter or 1/120 72deg for parts with no big camera moves…would this help simulate the strobe like effects of the higher shutter speeds on composited 3d objects…1/48 is difficult to track for all but the smoothest movement and I am not sure how well blender might simulate the staccato “gladiator/saving private ryan” effect on the cg objects

You can not specify open/close time in Blender.

Hm, you might be able to do this trick, but not with Rendertime-MotionBlur, but Compositor Motion Blur. Do some math and render out the correct sub-frames and then apply Motion Blur to this. Might be quite some tinkering, but (in my :wink: theory it should work. Also heavily dependent if your scene is Compositor Motion Blur “ready” (No Glass and such)…

ok cool I kinda get what u are saying…kinda…will look into it

Hello, thank you for the addon
but I have a problem
install from file

run from Text Editor

Thank you for reporting. Will fix it, when i find out to what it was changed…

You can put a # before those lines to get it working again:

keyMap = bpy.context.window_manager.keyconfigs.active.keymaps[‘3D View’]
keyMapItem = keyMap.keymap_items.new(‘view3d.modal_pc_click_dof’, ‘D’, ‘PRESS’)

funny result :slight_smile:

The first is some fault in my Script. The second is my failed/unfinished try to make a Gui for 3d View :wink:

Do they appear when you activate the Addon?

Yes, when i press Run Script

The Script is updated to 0.6.1:

-Fixed Keymap Bug
-Set Defocus Key to F (was D - conflicted with GreasePencil)
-removed WIP Menu.

Nevertheless, i got very few feedback on this Addon… I wonder why. Is it cause you don’t use it? Cause it is so obvious what it does that you have no Problems with it?

Hey, i’ve just run this for the first time… no problems! Still trying to understand the ways it differs from the default camera without a background in Photography, so I can say only that I like the idea of a Blender camera that more closely follows a real world system and thanks for your effort with it! Seems good so far!

Hi Bashi,

I have your 0.61 release but there are problem:
TRACEBACK on Blender 2.73 last release:
“search for unknown operator ‘VIEW3D_OT_modal_pc_click_dof’, ‘VIEW3D_OT_modal_pc_click_dof’”
10 000 time in the system console! with Blender 2.72b Vista SSE2

After to have deselected your add-on in my user pref.

Weird! the shortcut isn’t erased:

keyMapItem = keyMap.keymap_items.new(‘view3d.modal_pc_click_dof’, ‘F’, ‘PRESS’)
isn’t erased in unregister() function, I mean…

I have deinstalled your add-on but now I have always this in my console:

Edit:

Will have to play with this more.

jdent02 that cleared away part of my confusion regarding this addon.

still the output varies greatly from maxwell.

Shutter speed has nothing to do with the DOF, that’s entirely decided by the f-stop and focal distance.

Has this addon been updated recently? I’ve been having issues with it in the latest builds (currently 2.73.5 8cd106f)

Basically no matter what I do, the exposure always stays at 0.01, and if I disable the physical camera nothing changes.

I tried to do a fresh install of both the addon and Blender, but it keeps happening. I had to remove it for the time being since it was messing up all my scenes. Do you know what could be causing this?

Hi bashi,

your addon has this traceback with blender 2.73.5 Dev on Linux Mint Rebecca :

Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/share/blender/2.73/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py”, line 364, in disable
mod.unregister()
File “/home/patrinux/.config/blender/2.73/scripts/addons/physical_camera.py”, line 1360, in unregister
bpy.types.INFO_HT_header.remove(draw_item)
NameError: name ‘draw_item’ is not defined

And when you activate again your addon:

Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/share/blender/2.73/scripts/modules/addon_utils.py”, line 320, in enable
mod.register()
File “/home/patrinux/.config/blender/2.73/scripts/addons/physical_camera.py”, line 1330, in register
bpy.utils.register_class(ClickDOF)
ValueError: register_class(…): already registered as a subclass

And you must add a function to freeze the focus dist. when you select an object in the popup menu like in the Deph of Field panel, please.
-> Because it’s confuse.
Solution:

Hi Julperado,

I confirme you that this addon run well without my traceback about register and unregister.
i try to play with it and the setup work well and the exposition change absolutely with film and speed…
You must make warning about Static or Video, stay in static for picture alone.

Theres no vignetting, chromatic aberration, or barrel distortion control?

No, because those effects can only be done in comp, and so far i’ve only done the things i can do in viewport. There are some ideas to do such things in the future. Maybe LensFun db. Vignette, ca and distortion are all things i would like to do. Polarization as well… (See next Post)

Attachments

No, because those effects can only be done in comp, and so far i’ve only done the things i can do in viewport. There are some ideas to do such things in the future. Maybe LensFun db. Vignette, ca and distortion are all things i would like to do.

This Physical Camera Addon is supposed to be be one Part of a “complete” System: Physical Shader, Lighting, Camera.

(Note: Not really up to date and is more a guidline and might not represent what actually is there or is coming.)

Shading i have most things i want. (A physical based Shader, Layer Absorbtion, Polarisation almost…)

Lighting i don’t have yet. And then i have to make sure it all works well together. Still quite some work left.
There’s also this Photogrammetry 3D Scan Device idea i want to build…

I’ve been hoping for a physical camera in Blender and lo it’s here :slight_smile:
The addon seems to work fine for me, the only thing I noticed is that the properties stop affecting the scene if you try controlling DOF by object.

Really, I was just thinking today it would be cool to be able to setup lights with reality based values rather then the basically meaningless values what we have now, so I’m very excited about this “system” you’re working on.
Re physical based Shader have you seen this guys work?

I’m only a little worried you might quit this project eventually since it’s obviously a big undertaking. But worrying won’t take us anywhere, so is there any way we could support you?

Here are some really wacky test renders I did. Feels nice when all camera settings are in one place :slight_smile: