b.m.p.s. 1.5!

Ok, time for a new b.m.p.s. version :slight_smile:

Version 1.5 (11 MB 7-zip file) brings

• Greatly optimized polygon count on Fluids and Cloth scenes.
  • Small topology fix on Solid scene.
  • Small corrections in Lights material and Composite nodes.
  • Better looking bundled Wax material.
  • Unwrapped Solid and Cloth scenes (finally!).
  • Example bitmap textures for Unwrapped Solid and Cloth scenes.
  • Updated documentation file.
  • Greatly reduced BlenderMaterialPreviewScenes.blend file size (11.5MB. less than 1.1 version).

note: there are slight topology problems in the Cloth scene but nothing too important, in next b.m.p.s. version (after Blender 2.5) i’ll solve that.

Unwrap examples:
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/5586/solidtemplate.jpghttp://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4561/clothtemplate.jpg

Enjoy! :slight_smile:
tuqueque

Getting better every time…

I like the new UV unwrapped meshes. For the cloth, that will be great for fibers rendering.

Congrats!

thanks! :slight_smile: glad you like it!

Thanks man ! Can this be implemented in in blender totally ?

i mean in the original version not as a plu in or add on.

Hello TK… Even when in this last version of b.m.p.s. i invested a lot of work on polygon optimizations (and there’s still work to do on that area), i think this project is too heavy to be “builded in” into official Blender realeases… This would increase Blender installer size by something like 10MB… Besides, i’m not sure about how popular this project is among devs…

Two things i can tell you though…

First, some weeks ago i was contacted to participate with b.m.p.s. in some sort of unnofficial “special” Blender version including a collection of goodies (scripts, rigs, models…)… Is not a BF project, but seems to have BF support. So this could be the beginning of a more complete Blender, specially for begginers. :slight_smile:

And second, The main intention of b.m.p.s. is to offer a very “correct”, accurate and compatible scenes for the creation of realistic looking materials (and lighting)… So maybe, hopefully, b.m.p.s. will help developers like Broken or Farsthary in the possible future renderer refactor as a good testing file.

So anyways, as a plug-in, an included “goodie” or simply a test file, b.m.p.s. is filling its purpose… helping :slight_smile:

Awesome. Thanks Tuquequ!

Looks like some fun stoff to play with there. A while back a had a dream of an ident sting I wanted to do with fluid, but the number of polys totally blew my rig out. Maybe it’s time for another shot… :slight_smile:

(having just finished doing some other crazy water stuff with the ocean / adaptive subdiv in Kai’s build ) Lot’s a fun things to play with around here. :smiley:

Version 1.5 is (even) more awesome than first! I´ll start to explore it deep and sure will find more useful tips. Many thanks. And thanks in advance for your

Thanks Tuqueque !.. appreciate your hard work…can’t wait to test fluid and cloth scenes…

This is awesome I will use it for Renderman shading tests :)! Thanks a lot!

wow
the best i c
thanx

awesome work!

but why the strange format? why not just .zip or .rar

Thanks aermartin!

7zip is not that strange this days… and the reason for using it is because is open source and free, and has a much better compression ratio than zip or even rar.

But for the next version (in 1 or 2 months) I’ll release it in both, 7zip and ZIP just in case.

Greets.
tuqueque.

what is this? what does bmps mean?

Hello mejynx.

b.m.p.s means: Blender Material Preview Scenes…

Is a project I’ve been working on for some time now… Is basically a “file” with various scenes to test materials in a controlled and predictable environment… Excellent for material creation and material sharing.

This thread uses the project for material sharing and submissions:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=169319

Also, feel free to download the project and check it out!.. There’s a documentation file included and the project come with several material examples bundled.

Oh… okay, its cool, I dont really have a need to test materials. thanks for explaining tho.

this is a great idea :smiley: i’ve seen the sphere in the “Blender 2.50 material library - request for submissions” thread. It’s cool to have universal Material testing scenes, makes it easier…

i’m downloading it to see how it’s built, and to play around with it a bit :smiley: (oh, just noticed the download’s done :-D)
edit: wow, it’s a rather complex scene… :smiley:

MeshWeaver

I was looking around trying to find out how this mesh was modeled. I noticed that it seems to be similar in design to http://www.blendernation.com/links/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/luxrend-material-46.jpg.

I tried for several hours using an icosphere, the solidify script and boolean modifiers, but I still could not get anywhere near close to the mesh you created (too many tri’s or artifacts). What I an looking for was how you were able to create the cut out of the blender logo from the solid icosphere with such a clean mesh and nice edge loops on the thickness wall (in the picture above, where you have th BMPS text in the UV).

Any tips to get me pointed in the right direction would be appreciated, thanks!

For sure “stupid” question but I could see only ONE file in the archive and when loaded ONLY ONE SCENE is shown in ONE layer so … how could U change to CLOTH scene for example???

JayM

PS: In fact I have B2.5 build from Graphicall.org and get “DAG zero” error when loading the scene and then also some “region type missing in - name “Node” is16” … NOT good right? But this build works like a CHARM in every other side (instead of the one I DL from blender.org and it crashes)

Hello Janmatys…

Sadly, b.m.p.s. V1.5 was released some time ago and it was made in Blender 2.49… And is not very suitable anymore for Blender 2.5x… In general, the scene should load without problems but it’ll most probably not render correctly.

I’ve made some changes to correct several issues for the next Version, but it won’t be released until the Render refactor that’s been made for Durian… Probably somewhere around november/december you will enjoy the next b.m.p.s. wich will be more physically correct and will come with a Fur testing scene and maaaaybe a Volumetrics scene :slight_smile:

And finally, to answer your question about the other scenes in the b.m.p.s… You just have to go to the top toolbar and click on the Scene dropdown list and there you should find the other scenes :slight_smile:

Greets.