Page 443 of 825 FirstFirst ... 343393433441442443444445453493543 ... LastLast
Results 8,841 to 8,860 of 16485
    There are three types because they can be done nearly independently. The simplest type is Camera Motion Blur. Just because you don't need to change the acceleration structure (BVH) at all. You just need to send the rays out from a different position and in a different direction per sample. Thats why it is so fast.

Example: Camera moving quickly through environment, anything moves relative to camera.

The second type is Object Motion Blur, which is very similar to instancing, and only works on objects that are static (animated only on object level). Every such object has it's own BVH which is then inserted in the master BVH, which then has to be updated for every sample or has to use bigger bounding boxes for the objects BVH (containing the whole geometry on it's path).

Example: Every moving but not deforming object. This could be a rotor, a rolling bowling ball, a tire, a thrown stone, ...

The most difficult type is Deformation Motionblur. In this case you have to use enlarged bounding boxes for every triangle in such a mesh as well. In this case it's hard to optimize, because you will have much more intersections to handle. A triangle could be there or not at a given time, others might at well be at this position, but not always (like in static case). So you will have to check much more triangles to find the closest to camera/ray which is actually hit.

Example: Moving Characters, bending wire, waves, moving twigs on a tree, (nearly anything organic), ...
    Last edited by niabot; 10-Oct-12 at 08:00.

Brecht just commited the Anisotropic BSDF patch from Farny.
    http://projects.blender.org/scm/view...revision=51258
    Blender developer (Cycles / User Interface)
    Blog -- Blender Podcast -- OpenShading -- BlenderDay -- Blender Network profile

Originally Posted by DingTo View Post
    Brecht just commited the Anisotropic BSDF patch from Farny.
    http://projects.blender.org/scm/view...revision=51258
    That is actually the part i most hoped for:

"Patch by Mike Farnsworth, some modifications by me. Currently it's not possible yet to set a custom tangent, that will follow as part of per-bsdf normals patch."

Yuhu this is good news!

Custom tangents would be great and well needed in case you want to render brush patterns like those:

For this material Thea has an integrated Anisotropy procedural texture pattern.

@DingTo:
    Any idea if Brecht's motion blur work includes render API features for efficiently accessing sub-frame scene states? IIRC, last time I tried writing an exporter (super basic, for Renderman), I could only get the scene state on whole frame numbers, which is very limiting especially for deformation motion blur which is then limited to a single linear motion segment.

I hope that soon or later they develop a network rendering distribution... something like vray or looking to another opensource project like Luxrender that has a robust distribuited rendering solution.... probably the rendering bucket method is the way to implement in the future this feature.

Originally Posted by marcatore View Post
    I hope that soon or later they develop a network rendering distribution... something like vray or looking to another opensource project like Luxrender that has a robust distribuited rendering solution.... probably the rendering bucket method is the way to implement in the future this feature.
    Netrender is there in Blender already (as an addon, you need to activate it). Works with Cycles and BI.
    If you don't like it, maybe try DrQueue

sorry...

I'll try it... thanks you

@Cessen: No idea, will ask him at the conference.

Per-BSDF normal input and new Bump node!

Cycles: per-BSDF normal input and new Bump node.

Each BSDF node now has a Normal input, which can be used to set a custom normal
    for the BSDF, for example if you want to have only bump on one of the layers in
    a multilayer material.

The Bump node can be used to generate a normal from a scalar value, the same as
    what happens when you connect a scalar value to the displacement output.

Documentation has been updated with the latest changes:
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Do...r/Cycles/Nodes

Patch by Agustin Benavidez, some implementation tweaks by me.

per-BSDF normal input and new Bump node is in trunk!!
    I wish storm's Volumetric patch would be also in trunk!
    I know the Bi-dir stuff is not usable, but the Volume is VERY useful and usable!
    Last edited by tungee; 10-Oct-12 at 11:31.
    In the end, only blender will surrender
    i7 4770 - 2x GTX 780 ti- 32GB

Normal mapping 100+! Thanks! It seems a lot of great puzzle pieces are coming together...

This is pretty exciting! I was hoping it wouldn't take long to get these in. Can we get a new windows build with the normal mapping stuff in?

Be careful, there is a per BSDF Normal Input, thats not Normal Mapping.
    According to Agus, it's a way into that direction, but we are not there yet.

Originally Posted by DingTo View Post
    Be careful, there is a per BSDF Normal Input, thats not Normal Mapping.
    According to Agus, it's a way into that direction, but we are not there yet.
    Damn Too fast on the trigger...

Is Agus3D aware that his per-BSDF normal patch is now in trunk, would be nice to PM him if he doesn't know yet so he can go ahead on implementing the ability to use normal maps.

A big day for Cycles, thanks to the work by Mike Farny and Agus.
    Sweet Dragon dreams, lovely Dragon kisses, gorgeous Dragon hugs. How sweet would life be to romp with Dragons, teasing you with their fire and you being in their games, perhaps they can even turn you into one as well.
    Adventures in Cycles; My official sketchbook

Originally Posted by GottfriedHofmann View Post
    Netrender is there in Blender already (as an addon, you need to activate it). Works with Cycles and BI.
    If you don't like it, maybe try DrQueue
    Netrender works quite well as a render farm manager. It has a few bugs here and there, there are work arounds for most.

However Netrender distributes frames. I think marcatore refers to distributing rendering on a single frame, ie distributed bucket rendering. In other words, you hit render in blender and it distributes buckets among your farm and it all gets updated in your frame buffer in real time.That is how vray works and it is super usefull.

With my current project my 3gb graphics card is proving quite useless(run out of vram all the time). My workstation CPU is quite weak so it would be great if I can just use some of my render nodes to help out with rendering previews quickly.

Distributed bucket rendering would be indeed very helpful. Not only for fast renders, also if you need to render a huge image (for a print for example).

I just tried the camera blur option and works FANTASTIC!, super fast, easy and beautiful, can't wait to have object blur, we really need that for productions.

Originally Posted by Gustav Göransson View Post
    Per-BSDF normal input and new Bump node!
    Love it!

Competition is great and fun for things like sports and games. For more serious matters cooperation might be a better approach.

It is time - ecogood.org