BGMC 23 Theme voting

Vote on your favorite theme idea!

The following ‘popular’ game idea was removed: ‘racing’.
Racing is a genre not really a theme.

Official Start Date
***BGMC 23 will start on the 23rd of January - 30th of January. Once a theme has been chosen I will create a BGMC 23 announcement thread with a countdown.

Prizes
***1st place:

• $150 cash + 15% off blend4web PRO, if the winning entry uses blend4web this doubles to $300 cash + 30% off blend4web PRO.
  • $60 from me + Grenzer
  • A copy of the Sprite Addon (worth $10)
  • A copy of the BGE Music visualizer by Nicholas_A (worth $2)
  • Organize next BGMC

2nd place:

• $25 from me + Grenzer

3rd place:

• $15 from me + Grenzer

Everyone:

• A finished game you can put on your resume/CV.

All currency is USD.
If you would like to donate any prizes (money, expertise, assets etc.) you can PM me or Grenzer.

Judging ***The full panel of judges will be announced after the theme has been chosen.

The judging criteria will be the same as BGMC 22:

• Gameplay Experience (50%)
  • Graphical Quality (25%)
  • Sound Design (15%)
  • Theme Adherence (10%)

There will be NO community vote.
Since there is money involved the results are a lot more prone to voter fraud, therefore we will use the decision of the judges to determine placement.

REMEMBER: You are building a game NOT a tech demo.

Game Engines ***It is highly recommended that you know how to use the engine of your choice, so perhaps spend the next few days getting familiar with it if you aren't already. We want finished entries not WIP entries ;).

Any engine that is integrated into the Blender interface is allowed, this includes:
-BGE
-UPBGE
-Blend4Web
-Panda3D via Moguri’s panda3D plugin
-Armoury

You may NOT use (because they aren’t integrated into blender):
-Unity
-Unreal
-Godot
-CryEngine
-any other non-blender engines.

To gain the maximum number of votes it is recommended you export your game, so non-Blender users can play the game!

Assets
***You are permitted to use any assets that are freely available to everyone (blendswap etc.) before BGMC 23 start date.
You are NOT permitted to use private assets that have been modelled/textured before BGMC 23 without being shared freely.
You can only use private assets if they have been modelled/textured during BGMC 23 (23rd - 30th January).

Restrictions ***We have increased the file restriction to 50mb compressed (source files) .zip, this should be plenty of space for any game made in a week.

You must wait until the competition starts before creating your game. You are allowed to plan out the game before BGMC 23 starts.

Penalties
***1% penalty per MB over the limit.
10% penalty per day past the end date.

Conditions of Entry
***All projects must be released open-source, regardless of engine. This includes blend files for the assets if they are exported into some intermediate format (Eg json for blend4web), any scripts, sounds and so on.

The winner will take responsibility for organizing BGMC 24

If you would like to stay up to date, I will be posting reminders/announcements on this facebook group.
Any other questions or if I have missed something out let me know :smiley:

Sounds great, thanks for setting this up.

edit: I was going to use code that I have learned- but as of right now that is very little, so I probably will have to use pure logic for this BGMC.

You could use something really simple like save a load so there can be a highscore if you want:

but if you aren’t sure then its probably best to stick with basic logic for now.

basic logic

never basic :eyebrowlift:, jk.

i’ll look into that and see if it is within my abilities:)

One theme that often get a lot of votes is atmosphere, I have no idea how to define that category. Is it a special feeling like in Journey or the barrier between earth and outer space? Could anyone mention a few atmosphere games?

i love it, glad to see another comp is getting on…

We need more flair to the game’s that we make :3

also… I for one like the view it give’s off a good feeling the right feeling so my vote goes to Atmosphere

Atmosphere is a really broad theme.
From the dictionary:
An aesthetic quality or effect, especially a distinctive and pleasing one,associated with a particular place: a restaurant with an Old World atmosphere.

I think it is associated with making the player feel like they are in another world.
My best guess would be trying to convey emotion through environment, but again it’s so broad this is quite hard to define.

Yes I encourage entrants to utilize blendswap and blenderartists resources so you don’t need to build everything from scratch!

For atmosphere, I’m thinking of a game where you have to fly a rocket and buy upgrades for it to go higher.

This sounds like a good idea!
Although don’t feel like you are limited to a literal atmosphere, technically Undertow for BGMC 22 could have easily fitted under the atmosphere category, so there is lots of space for creative freedom (if you need it).

Games like Limbo or Journey are good examples of games heavy on atmosphere, in case anybody was wondering!

This trailer of "The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild " shows atmosphere.
Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFJquWxG8tU

That’s literally the worst theme for me.
Most of my games are kind of cartoony. Giving them some deep atmosphere seems like it would take quite a lot of extra work.
I think I’ll have to work hard to make something good for this one…

just make something of a cartoony atmosphere?

Even 8/16 bit games can be atmospheric. Take a look at this game:
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKqyGNMG38[/video]

Music is very useful to also build atmosphere, it can probably do most of the work for you. The rest can be done with lighting and perhaps a few different models.

In terms of a dungeon game you could use a dark souls vibe to add atmosphere.

What does demastered even mean?

@Nicholas_A
Take a modern game and make it retro.

(Remastering is the process of taking an old game and making it modern)

“Demastered” sounds a lot like an excuse for making crappy games.

*graphics

Although I do agree to some extent. Demastered seems like a theme that encourages people forget art and focus on programming which is definitely not what a game should be about!