Chesterfield reading spot

This my latest attempt with Blender. It all started as an exercise in modeling, and a Chesterfield sofa is always a good challenge. The floor light, the paintings on the wall, most of the books and the coffee table are free models (from 3dsky.org), which were altered or partly remodeled to match the needs of this simple scene setup.

I’d like to dedicate this work to my beloved father, who passed away about a month ago. In his memory I’d like to offer the blend file to this community for free. Anyone can use this chesterfield model in any project he likes, but is not allowed to sell it of course (this would be very disrespectful). I didn’t pack textures etc., because some of them are not for free.

Once more, I’d like to thank my good friend @Sunburn for his help and valuable advices.

13 Likes

Not too sure why you haven’t had any replies to this ye, so I’ll try to say something with a bit more substance than a generic “Love it, nice work”

The sofa has been very nicely modeled, and the textures and colour of it are brilliant. Great lighting too. Not too much, nor too little. The scene in general is very nice to look at and it looks very inviting. Great work overall.

I’m sorry to read about your father, I’m sure he would have loved such a striking piece of art. Keep up the good work, and post some more. The comments on this forum can be a bit hit and miss. I’ve seen beginner/mediocre work receive dozens of replies, and amazing work with absolutely none. Don’t read into it as an indication of the quality of your work.

Jack

BIG, BIG thanks for the model! I really like the sofa and the overall setup in general.
(For my personal taste the only thing I would change is to make the leather little less shiny/glossy. but I just wish I could create such a scene myself;)

and please accept my deepest condolences for your family’s loss.

g6b0r

Thank you for your kind words and positive critiques. They really mean a lot to me right now. I hope you can make use of the sofa model in some of your projects in the future. I’ve received many things from the Blender community for free. It’s time to give something back.

[PS: I just realized that you are a very skilfull automotive modeler/shading artist. So, the sofa won’t be of any use for your needs. I’ve dedicated a lot of time in the past studying car modeling and Class A surfacing with Rhino. You can see a job that I never managed to finish, here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=1368726. You renders really look impressive. Polygon modelers like Blender don’t give the best results in automotive surfaces, but your work is really top notch!]

Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it. I hope you find the sofa model useful in some of your future projects. Seeing it in nice interior renders would be the biggest reward for me.

Great work! I would love one day to model something like that sofa. The composition is great as well. Congrats and keep it up!

Thank you very much!

So sorry to hear about your father, but this is a really good dedicated piece. Amazing work on the sofa.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

So sorry to hear about your father, but this is a really good dedicated piece. Amazing work on the sofa.

I have a couple of questions I want to ask:

1. Why you didn’t use the filmic CS?

2. Why was this enclosed in a box? I removed the side and back wall completely.

3. The sofa was purely a mesh work or sculpted?

1. But I did. I just re-opened the blend file and double-checked it again.

2. I guess because I wanted the setup to resemble a real room and have some indirect light bounces to fill it with ambient light. Maybe this is nonsense, I don’t really know. Lighting is always a very complex thing for me to understand. I’m not a blender guru, that’s for sure. I use blender for less than a year, and there are still many things to learn. Would it be better in someway if the rest of the walls were removed? Faster render times? Less complicated light bounces? Could you explain it a bit more? I’m always open to advices and I’ll definitely keep them in mind the next time I attempt a render. Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

3. The sofa is mainly a mesh modeling work, and some of the details (like the wrinkles) were done in sculpting mode. The sofa’s upper part was modeled upon a base mesh shape (Π shape) and not by copying/arraying the basic rhombus. That’s why the UV’s are a mess… I’m not happy with that, but the deform/bend modifier of Blender wouldn’t do the job in my case. In 3ds max it works way better.

Same here. From my understanding, rendering will be very fast if you removed the walls not visible. Just give it a shot. Only keep the floor and ceiling and the back wall where the painting hangs, of course, and see if it makes any difference.

This is a very nice image.I like the contrast you created with lighting. I have created a similar image, but mine looks a bit dull. Maybe I can steal you lighting setup :eyebrowlift:.
I am sorry for your loss.

Thank you very much (ευχαριστώ πολύ)! You can use the blend file in any way you want. I really struggled a lot with lighting before finding something pleasing to look at. My friend @Sunburn pointed out some things, which led me to this setup.

Really impressed with the sofa! Great work. My condolences for your loss. Thanks for the blend file!

Thank you very much for your kind message. Really hope you use the sofa model (and material of course) in a creative way.
Best.

Dear Birdnamnam, firstly I should offer my condolences. Second, I think the lighting is wonderful, so what I am about to say would only be for future reference - removing the walls that are not on camera would certainly speed up your render times a great deal: noise would resolve a lot faster. While you are correct in thinking your approach allows for realistic indirect lighting, substituting this “brute force” method for an interior HDRI at a low intensity would achieve much the same effect.

Thank you very much. I’ll keep this in mind.

Great work

here are some suggestion … i was looking into your work

1.Use Non Color data for images used for roughness n normal mapping
2.Use denoise ( saves render time . a lot)
3.Use flimic color profile … increases dynamic range of camera ( improves lighting in interior )
4.Over saturation is bad (keep that in mind … natural colors are better unless u wish to go for very bright color ful theme)
5.Use Adaptive Sub division (saves render time )
6.Your sofa texture is way to shiny …looks like its been oiled
7.Pay attention to ur camera lens ( u haven’t changes it i guess )
8.The books on right a bit distracting ( because of the color saturation it draws ur eyes… as main focus of image in empty sofa )

Sorry for ur lose … God bless

Keep up the good work … ur much better than me