17th century sail ship

An update. I have been busy with the decks, it is beginning to look like a ship now :cool:

Wow! Thatā€™s looking really good!

Thanks Anthony, I am looking forward to an update of your ship!

Iā€™ve been trying to make a new version using your method, but Iā€™m stuck right trying to figure out how to add the edgesā€¦ How do you make an edge?

EDIT: Never mindā€¦ I figured it out. :o

Thatā€™s looking pretty damned good. Nice work.

If you want to be fussy, one or two plank lines are a bit off. Also, the hull planking above the beakhead wouldnā€™t have wrapped around to the stem like that. It would have stopped short at the forā€™d end of the forecastle. The curved (in profile) decorative bits past there ran along the sides of the grating/platform, and were for giving the crew a safer place to work out there. Also gave a bit of privacy, since thatā€™s where the toilets were. They just dropped everything down through that grating.

(Really)

Hello Gumboots. Yes, some of the lines are a bit off. I am not entirely happy with some parts of the hull, and am thinking of redoing it. (which should be quite easy, since I still have the jig I made) I think the planks are also too wide.
The bow section is to my knowledge accurate. (see the reference picture I used) This ship does not have those parts you mentioned, but a regular railing instead.
Hehe, yes I know. I believe they even call it the ā€œpoo deckā€.

Oh cool. I hadnā€™t seen one done like that before. All the examples Iā€™d seen previously had it done the other way. Maybe since this one was the first one the French built for themselves, they decided to be different.

does not say what weight it had

but with about 150 feet long must have been very heavy may be over 200 tons

3D model here
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-obj-galley-la-couronne/935132

beginning to look nice
keep it up

happy cl

That is what I thought too. Today I have looked at pictures of the Batavia, which is a replica of a dutch merchant ship, and the beakhead on it looks like it is constructed in a similar way as this one, apart from the railing, which is as described by you. The original one was built only a few years before the La Couronne. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Ship_Batavia_1.jpg

Thanks Ricky! Slowly adding more and more detail. I cant wait to start on its rigging. :wink: Yes, this ship is huge compared to similar ships of the time, it is over 70m long. The average dutch merchant ship was around 40 m length.

Ya, these ships werenā€™t nearly as big as I had imagined. 150 ft is big for such a ship.

Speedthriller, Iā€™m trying to follow your tutorial for making the hull with curves, and Iā€™m stuck on post #8. Iā€™m at the point where I have all the curves converted to meshes and back to curves, and Iā€™m ready to split the curves, but I donā€™t understand where to split the rest of the curves after the first one, since the position I split them at will affect how many connecting points there will be to work with. Does it matter? Do I even need to split the curves? And how do I connect the edges of the curves to make the planks? What I mean is, do I start with the point where I made the split and work my way down, or something else?

Hello Anthony
I looked for a line on my reference image that would be relatively straight, and worked my way down to the keel from there, see the red line on the image. I split all the curves there. What I did, I gave all the sections the same amount of vertices. It doesnt matter if they are too long.
Say, for example, the longest edge you need has 10 vertices, then make the other ones 10 vertices as well. (with the array modifier) When you have the whole bottom section ready, you cut off the excess material with the knife project tool as described. After that, work your way up. I had to make 2 more sections, to keep the planks somewhat straight. And maybe I had to make more. I am thinking of redoing my hull. My planks are far too wide. I have tried to find how wide they were, and I found that they were around 35 cm wide. Mine are over 50 cm at the moment.
It really depends on the shape of the hull you are building. I have tried this method before I started this ship on a small row boat, I could do that one in one go, but these hulls are far more complex.
To connect the planks, you need to copy all the edges you made, then apply the array and curve modifiers, and then select all the edges and join them into one object. You can do that in object mode, in the toolbar at the left is a button called ā€œjoinā€.
I hope this makes it a bit more clear.

Very very beautiful! I will study your technique

Thanks. I gave it a good first try but my planks were all messed up along the bottom where they come together. Iā€™ll try againā€¦