how do I install blender 2.47 so that it doesn’t replace the version 2.45 icon
with the 2.47 icon?

There’ll be happy bunnies on the forum tonight!

I think, simply install to a different folder.

To all the devs working on this package release:

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!

Cool, just finished downloading.

well, I did. It’s ok for now, I had to re-install both versions, and I told
2.45 to install the desktop icon, and I told 2.47 to install the start
menu entry, so I can go to the start menu if I want to go to 2.47.

I think it’s weird though. This will only be a problem while I’m
learning it.

Yeh thats right. They explain it nicely on one of the latest Blendernation posts (the 26 min interview video by Bart), Pablo explains how a special version of blender will be released with the release of Yo Frankie. It will be somewhere between 2.47 and 2.50.

And they seem to be hopeing to have all the apricot GE stuff included in 2.50. But Ton didnt seem willing to promise anything. :stuck_out_tongue:

Awesome! Thanks for the hard work blender team! So, does anyone know what is planed for 2.48?

We don’t have plans for another release before 2.50.

Martin

Big thank to all developers :slight_smile:

You may have noticed that there are zipped version that are also available for Windows ? Those are much less obtrusive. Granted you won’t be in the registry and you will have to make your associations yourself but there won’t be any problem having two desktop icons and to entries on the start menu…

Jean

I can;t do it that way. If I do a fresh install of 2.47 from the zipped file, and tell
winrar to unzip it to c:\blender 2.47, then guess what? There is no install file.
If I copy the desktop icon to my desktop I then have a link to blender 2.47,
but then it won’t start because it can;t access zlib.dll.

So I will have to go back to the way it was, and download 2.47 as the unzipped
version that can actually install.

Thanks for trying to help though.

Hmm… take it you need to brush up on your gui skills. Blender is a portable program, i.e. you can use it without “installing”. The .zip version does not contain a installer, it will run as is. If you want a desktop icon, you’ll have to Right Click on blender.exe and choose Send To>Desktop (Create Shortcut). If you try to drag blender onto the desktop you are leaving its dependencies behind, and it won’t work.

Thank you, that worked.

Having trouble installing the x64 version for linux. I unpack and try to run like I’ve done with the previous versions and get:

./blender: error while loading shared libraries: libalut.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Anyone familiar with this?

You need openAL.

Martin

And once again, like 2.46, I can’t open blend files by doubleclicking on them, Blender runs, and gives a “not a valid blen file” error.
Opening from within blender does work, but that’s just not how I ussually work…
I’ll have to stick to 2.45 for most of my work here…

EDIT: that’s on my workpc with winXP,
at home @laptop ubuntu 8.04 it works, be it that there is still the lag in editmode when doing transforms/editing, but I don’t think that’s blenders fault…

Check the console, I’m pretty sure the problem is caused by windows not passing a correct path to Blender (probably spaces in them and not being delimited by quotes).

This has to do with the filetype mapping, it’s not a problem with Blender itself (maybe with the installer, but frankly it’s the first time I hear of it so it must not be a very common problem), going back to 2.45 for that is a tad silly when it would take 30s to fix it.

Martin

Yay, i downloaded it, installed it, opened the last file i was working on with 2.46 and blender keeps crashing and crashing and crashing ^^
Opens up fine with 2.46. resave didn´t work either. But only this particular file.
Well i´ll simply import the scenes over. Strange anyways.

Report in the tracker please.

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?atid=125&group_id=9

Martin

actually I’ve been manually been changing the registry to try and fix 2.46 when it was new because it had the same behaviour. I tried pretty much every other method as well.
And no I didn’t screw anything up.

It’s not windows specific by the way. I’ve had this problem with blender on linux (ubuntu 7.10 AND 8.04) as well, though not as frequently. With both 2.46 and 2.47.
I posted somewhere about this when 2.46 was fresh, and some people replied reported that is happened before and was fixed in svn, BEFORE 2.46 was released. Maybe it snuck back in afterwards, because it sure as hell is still here.