2.5 UI font

There is no place for actuall requests that the devs would listen to.

But there is a thread here on blenderartists:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=116303

On the other hand, there’s such a thing called “Propossals” where you write a .doc file of what your idea is, explaining in detail why it is needed and how to achieve it.
But i don’t know much about that.

Try Blender Storm, its in beta right now though

Very impressive, the clearer font that does not get blurry and blurry , hurting your eyes when you zoom it is much much much better.

I hope future version will have more options regarding the fonts, like the font of choice, the shadow of it, the size and the AA or not in the User Preferences, for us that do not have any source compilling skill.

the current AA is really bad when you want to zoom out the text when trying to customise the UI to your liking.

+1

clear font is a must…
turn off autohintig should be an option, currently it’s really looking muddy

hope we will get such ‘feature’ in final 2.6, pretty please

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I have a question… Instead of compiling Blender, is it possible to get unsmooth fonts by using the GDI++ tool? As discussed below in this thread: http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/autodesk-3ds-max--3ds-max-design-2010/max-2010---hide-help-in-ribbon-ui/
thanks in advance!

it as been reported… but a majority of guru devs thinks that the actual font is nice and that a clear unblurred font is not a priority.

Very sad to read that, i guess i’ll stick with 2.49b for more years then.

I was really hoping this would be taken seriously. The smoothed fonts look pretty and all, but they’re not practical, especially if you get a much needed UI performance boost without them.

I’ve been getting mild headaches this year after using Blender in long sessions. By the end of the day, I have to close my eyes for a while. The headache goes away. On days when I’m not using Blender at all, I don’t have headaches. I’ve never experienced this in 2.4x.

I think there’s a preference for following form/fashion over function in this case. I guess I’m going to have to learn to compile my own version to address this. I’ll share it with other Windows user as the “Easy Eyes” Edition. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for this thread and the shared solutions. I think there’s enough info here to allow me to make the changes for a Windows version, hopefully, before the end of the year. I’m tired of the headaches and sluggish interface, and I hope this is something that will help.

If it is not too much to ask maybe Sanne or someone else could create a patch including the converted fonts? As they are free that shouldn’t be a problem.

Hoverkraft, I suspect the fonts I used are not GPL-compatible, and in this case I’m not allowed to redistribute. Sorry, I’d rather be on the safe side.

Lame. Can’t wait til’ it becomes a priority!

had to experiment the new ubuntu font :stuck_out_tongue:

ubuntu font test on blender

I’m glad this font issue get attention again

blender 2.5x isn’t user friendly anymore… as kernond pointed out it have negative impact on health
personaly I’m more fatigued when using 2.5x also have eye-strain if working long

I don’t really understand why this isn’t priority while UI and core take huge rewrite and for what? you can’t even work hard for long runs…

please devs it’s really such hard to deliver clear notmuddy looking font into 2.5x?

Yes, it is difficult to understand that this is not a higher priority.
More than the missing 2.49b functionalities, that is actually what made me go back to 2.49b, i value my head and eye well-being much more than a “look antialiased font are cool” 2.5x interface.

I don’t know anything about coding or source compiling, but as people showed it in previous pages of this thread by implementing a non-antialiased font solve the problem entirely, how hard could it be to have a font choice in the Blender user preferences ?

This way the guru devs could keep their beloved antialiased font and people that eye are very disturbed by them could opt for a normal font like in 2.49b.

v2.49b has better UI, faster, clear and most important, more room to work. The v2.5x UI is a PITA for me. But this is what we have now.

Being on a widescreen display I appreciate a lot the vertical panels of 2.5 UI, but sure enough a non-blurred font is badly needed.

Search this thread… “hinting”… wait - what? No results? Oh hell!
Please, do not blame antialiasing. That is something good, really. You do not want your renders aliased, though they do loose their “crispyness”. Neither you want an aliased font. The font is blurred not because of AA, but just because it does not use hinting.

To enable it, you have to switch an option in the source code. Nothing has changed since Frr wrote about this on the previous page. It’s still on line 201 in the same file.

Now, is this not legible well enough?
Well, as Frr points out in that same post, blender could make use of sub-pixel smoothing too. It seems somebody has already found a way, but I cannot find a trace on this topic related to the 2.5 branch.

I have been experimenting with this and indeed it makes it easier to read, alos as an added bonus it makes the UI far more responsive, we are currently in the process of investigating performance of the text rendering, but i will try very hard to get approval to commit without hinting enabled

Looks a bit better indeed, but how does it behave visually when you zoom in several time to get more panels onscreen ?
With the current 2.5x font it is just unreadable, unlike with a clear non antialiased font that remains readable (like in 2.49b)

Yes I do.

Now, is this not legible well enough?

No.

Please, don’t second-guess my preferences just because you prefer fonts that way. I don’t like small sized smoothed fonts, not at all, with hinting or without, as a UI font. I never have, probably never will. That’s just the way I am. Others are different, that’s ok. But I know (really) what I like, so please don’t tell me otherwise.

Thanks.