2.74 Cat Splash contest!

Hi guys !

Here is my contribution :

I think all cat owners know that situation, you install yourself for a good diner, and then you feel something on the arm, it’s your cat looking at you like you’ve never fed him of his life. And the sad part is… it works every time :slight_smile:

hehe this will be fun to watch! what are the image size requirement? i may give it a try myself
Mobility And Accessibility For Everyone!(http://squirrelguide.com/):slight_smile:

Here’s my entry!

Attachments

Love the cartoon, very funny, and all the renders thus far. Wish I could do a cat but that’s beyond me at the moment. Great work guys.

For sure! We need Franck on the blender splash!

I really like your contribution!

I guess you could say there’s a case of Cat Splash Fever going around.

I didn’t expect anyone to take Neow seriously but based on some of your comments I figured I’d give an official submission a shot.
Best of luck to everyone!

Well, this is all I could do in the last week:

As you can see, I still have a lot to do (especially considering the lighting and textures), but the main image is done. So, tell me what you think!

The image looks a little grainy because I just used 300 samples. The focus should be on the eye of the cat, and then be directed towards the mouse. The paint roller and couch (should) prevent your eye from flying off the image. Also, my idea was to make the background muted with natural colors (brown, green, etc.) and the foreground splashing with color (orange & blue). The stuff in the background that looks a little bit weird are window frames (I consider removing them because they just clutter the image). The eyes of the cat don’t have a texture yet, I’ll work on it. The ears look weird because I basically painted the texture for the cat in five minutes - because Blender deleted my texture several times. I am aware that there’s a lighting issue in the bottom left corner, it’s due to the rim light.

That’s about everything I can say about my image yet.

About other images: Jared Hill’s is very nice, good use of complementary colors, good focus and lighting. But the fur looks a little bit too cg (mess it up a bit)

kubo: Mostly the haze and the eye distract, otherwise: very good. I suppose you only made a eye texture, try to make it like a real eye (in 3d).

Garrison H: Nice! Can’t really say anything about it.

Jonathan L: Very good, but the butterfly is not matching the focus (my opinion).

But in the end, who am I to tell you what to do? I’m just a beginner, too.

my entry

this is how my cat stays, staring at the birds for a long time thinking of a way to eat them, then goes and be lazy somewhere else
this is a 30 minutes render only, the final version will take 8 hours

This is a great idea and I love the perspective, but I think you need to go for several hair systems with varying length and colors and tweak the taper of the nose a little and you’d have a winner…

Great work everyone!

@abdoubouam: I have been cooking up a very similar idea, although I started mine a week ago. Ill be able to post later this week (silly day job…)

Wow lots of nice entries, hard to pick one, I might go for abdoubouam’s one for now, the eye reflection is a nice touch.
@Meshmonkey, thanks, and since you mentioned, I can not stop seeing him underwater… lol…I’m working on fixing that
@sharazam, the eye is modeled, but for some reason it looks like a texture, go figure. Thank you, your’s shows promise, I like the kittens look.

I’ve worked some more the eye textures to try to make it less like a stuffed pet… also, I thought of doing a little mockup of sistine chapel’s Adam’s Creation, but with my hand and the cat’s paw (anyone that “lives with” a cat, knows that in this representation, I’m Adam, even thou I stay taller…)
I’ve never done a hand for a closeup, so I took some pictures and modeled and sculpted it after my own hand, then did some texture hand painted in blender. Lots of fun. For the material I wanted to use the new and neat pointiness node attribute, so It’s rendered in 2.73.9. I tried using Matt Heimlich’s awesome skin shader, but it went way over my head, so I’ve made some custom quick and dirty diffuse+glossy+translucency mix. Also some hair added, because my cat is not the only “furry” animal at my home… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
blender 2.73.9+cycles 2500 samples 4hr @GTX580 tonemapped on compositor and sig added

So there’s 5 days left on the clock… I think I’ll start now :slight_smile:

haha good luck then xD

in progress…

P.S. How to delete an excessive image in attachment? :confused:

Attachments

still in progress…

Here’s my contribution :slight_smile:
Does it still applies if it’s a werecat?

@julperado, should totally apply, after all they have their own musical, have they not? awesome job!
Some more tests, just because. This time I made some changes to paw and hand position, turned off lights and volumetrics and used a simple HDRI as lighting and for the background one of the pictures of Musi I used as reference, nothing fancy, but fun just the same. Both are about 2000 samples and 2hr @GTX780

almost done…